Betta Fish Forum banner

Odd Betta Illness

602 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  techstud85 
#1 ·
Hello Community,

I have been working on curing my Betta of a very odd illness for the last two months. What is occurring is that he has white spots (almost look like large salt grains) that are raised on his pectoral (swimming fins). I have tried the heat method with aquarium salt (for two weeks plus) and then for the last week tried using AP Quick Cure (two treatment cycles). But neither of these have killed whatever it is. I am starting to wonder if its a bacterium and if Marcyn and maracyn II might be a good way to treat. Hes quite an active little guy and still eating quite well through all of this. Please let me know what anyone thinks. Additionally, his one fin seemed to have split near the biggest spot.

Additional Info:
5 Gallon Filtered Tank (Hex)
Temp 87 - 88 Consistent (Seems to Like This Temp)
Filtered with Bio Filter / Carbon Out For AP right now

#2 ·
that sounds like ich, most likely. the torn fins could be a result of him flashing against things trying to get it off.

#3 ·
It sounds a lot like ick. You've already tried the methods I know so I'm sure someone wit more experience will help.

About the fin ripping: do you have any sharp decor or gravel in the tank? He might have ripped it on that. He might also be tail biting. It will grow back in a short while and you will see clear growth to show that it is growing. If it is black and looks like it is rotting, it is fin rot. You should treat that with aq salt.

Edit: Homegrown terror, My laptop did not show your post until after I posted. It's done that twice now:roll:. Sorry if I repeated some of the things you had said:)

#5 ·
Temp / More Info

The room temp was initially 80ish but I have consistently kept it at 87 to 88 ish since treatment 1. What I think happened is that the initial tank was faulty and had bad water quality. Realizing this I replaced the crappy gravel filter 3 gal with this one. I have tried copper treatment, heat and salt treatment, and quick cure ( machelete green and formalin) x 2. This is making me consider possible bacterium as nothing seems to kill it. Plus it seems larger then the salt look and it's not on his body at all. Also it seems the bumps are on the non mesh parts of swimmers. Any ideas or other potential treatments to try?

#6 ·
First, are you 100% sure it's not part of him? Some of mine have spots like that on their pectorals.
Maybe something stronger like kanamycin, but I'm no expert.
:dunno:
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 · (Edited)
Parasite Source?

It seems that most of his spots have gone away but he's missing part of swim fin and has a long white growth that looks like a parasite. I will attach an image as well. If it is a parasite how is it possible he got one? - only pellets and freeze dried food have been used. Also, what is the best multi use med to treat as I have used both copper and quick cure with no luck?

http://pinterest.com/pin/28006828903835864/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.