Betta Fish Forum banner

Is my betta ok?

492 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TheTrojanBetta 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was cleaning my fish named Ish's tank and noticed his fins looked clear and just wondering if anyone can tell from these pics if he is ok? Blue Fish Cobalt blue Fish Violet

Blue Cobalt blue Purple Violet Feather

Cobalt blue Blue Purple Feather Glass

Cobalt blue Blue Glass Electric blue Reflection

Cobalt blue Blue Glass Feather Wing

See less See more
#3 ·
Caltha, please bear in my mind, if her betta is from a pet store (highly likely) they we're probably told to keep him in a bowl. Think we've all been victims of listening to pet stores at least once when we're new to a hobby, mistakes happen and lessons learned.

dawnelizabeth try and get a larger tank soon ok, or at least keep him in a large cricket keeper and away from any drafts or cold places in your home until you get one and just keep the bowl to keep him in if you want to do a 100% water change then pop him back into his clean tank after.

#4 ·
If he is biting his tail don't worry, I have one that periodically does it and as long as it doesn't develop into fin rot, it's not really harmful and the tail can regrow with the right conditions. However, if he is biting because of stress or boredom, that is something that you will want to try and fix. You can either try moving things around, move him to a bigger tank, offer him toys or entertainment, etc. However there are some bettas that just like their tails shorter, or just won't break the habit. As long as the affected area does not get infected it's not something you need to be overly worried about.
If you're talking about the little fins being clear that is alright, I have two bettas myself with clear pectoral fins. Fin regrowth can also be clear until the colors come in.
I don't think anyone has even asked, but is that even what you keep him in? You said you were cleaning his tank and that's not a tank, so I am not going to automatically assume that. I move my bettas to smaller containers myself when I do full water changes. If that is where you keep your betta, yes it is too small, but it's understandable if you didn't know; there is a lot of misinformation out there. And like I said, until you confirm either way we don't know anyways!
Other than the tail he looks healthy to me; his colors are bright and very pretty by the way! He looks alert and I can't see any noticeable signs of illness.

#6 ·
Oh dear, Caltha, that is not his usual bowl, he has a much larger 1+gal tank with an air bubble maker. Im very happy for the responses besides knowing he may be biting his tail. Also, i will look into almond leaf. I was more concerned to know if he has ich or velvet, judging by the didvoloration in his face and clear front fins. But judging by the reply so far i believe he is in the clear in those areas. I just want to make sure he has no parasites or diseases. If not he will be returned to his home tank asap. Thanks for the reply and positive feedback RusseltheshihTzu and The Trojan Betta and MyRedBetta.

#8 ·
I've also found that Stress Coat helps a whole lot with fin regrowth, and I think it's also helped Odysseus's tail whenever he decides to give it a trim again. If you do come to the conclusion that it's tail biting, there are a lot of things people have tried and some have been successful, it just depends on why the fish is doing it. For Odysseus, he started doing it whenever I went home for the weekend and he became stressed without interaction for several days. Allowing my bettas to see each other provided stimulation and interaction that stopped the original tail biting due to stress whenever I leave, however he does still give himself trims whenever his tail gets too long; I think he likes how fast he can swim now! So it just depends on Ish and why he may be tail biting, with a little observation and experiment you can figure out the cause and hopefully a solution! If nothing else, clean water should stave away fin rot and help promote healing. Regardless, they're still beautiful either way and if you have a chronic biter you get used to the short tail, I can't really picture him without one now.
Good luck to you and Ish! He looks a little like my Rigsby, especially the coloring on his face. :) Russell is right about the bubble nests, they're always fun to find! Though I always feel bad when I have to destroy them with a water change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.