Betta Fish Forum banner

[Spawn Log #2] Red/blue CT x Red/black CT - photo journal ;)

5K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  VictorP 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, so I figured if I don't do it now, I never will. My fry from this spawn already turned 3 weeks old today. xD; This thread shall be an extension from my first spawn log here. I'm going to try my best and make this documentary as detailed as possible, now and then I'll point out some improvements I think I made compared to my last set-up. My current batch looks way healthier than the previous one at 3 weeks...and I hope it will stay this way!! >.<

Here's a small recap of my previous experience: I attempted by first spawn project back in mid-Oct'11. I had about 80+ fry, fed them almost exclusively on microworms and everything was perfect until the 3rd week. That was when I started losing them from a suspected bacterial infection (all who developed red bumps on their foreheads didn't make it). Nevertheless, I've got 28 make it to adulthood..but without their ventral fins. :p Around 15 of them are healthy and thriving, while the remainder either have SBD or are severely stunted after surviving the infection. ^^; Five of the good ones have been adopted by my friend while I continue to hoard the rest, haha. One boy grew up to be quite a stunning pink/red cambodian with really pretty fins. Feels all my effort was well worth it just seeing him flare. ^^

SPAWN PROJECT NO.2

29 January 2012
Anyway, now wiser and less n00bish, thought I'd give raising fry another shot. I originally planned to spawn my red copper HM pair. I've conditioned and put them in my 10g tank and all, but alas, no results...they simply hogged my main tank for over a week. For a little date! ^^;

During the frustrating wait...I noticed my CT male, the father of my previous spawn blew quite an impressive bubble nest in his 1.5g tank. So I decided to throw in my egg-bound red CT female, a sibling of his previous partner and see if something happens. :3

Dad flaring at his son from the previous spawn (my favourite baby!<3)

Red/black CT female

My CT male had proven himself previously to be a gentleman and a doting father...and since she's always been a bit bloated since the day I got her, I thought why not. When I checked on them the next day after I got back from work...

2 February 2012
We had eggs in the nest! The female had a small piece of her anal fin missing but other than that she looked fine..and skinny!<3 No longer bloated. xD

I removed the female and left dad alone to care for the eggs. He did great, plus, I noticed he even improved his egg-arranging technique..I don't know if he was clueless or just lazy, previously he used to stack all eggs precariously into one giant air pocket under the IAL. They kept dropping and he drove himself mad picking them back up..cycle repeated until babies hatched. Now all eggs were arranged nicely in the bubble nest as they should have been. :)

Since the spawn took place in a tiny 1.5g container with only plastic plants, I was a bit worried the babies wouldn't have any microorganisms to feed on later. There were plants in the main 10g tank, however, so I took out the reluctant HM pair and replaced 2/3 of the water. This is to prepare for moving the fry when they become free-swimming.

Main tank set-up:

3-4 February 2012
Babies hatched!

5 February 2012, evening
Babies started to stray away from the nest, dad losing interest. I removed the dad..and debated if I should move the fry to the main tank. Which I did..and looking back, I think this is the most daring thing I did with such fragile newborns. >_>;; Well, they're not going to survive without their first foods, and my microworm culture wasn't established enough as I had hoped..it's do or die. ^^;;

So I floated the container in the main tank for about half an hour...

...and later dunked EVERYTHING inside. :3

6 February 2012, night
So far so good, none dead yet. White tummy, seems to be eating fine. Such a relief! xD

---

...it's getting late now, I'll continue tmr. Sorry if I bore you to death..:3

See less See more
#34 ·
Thanks~ I ended up with around 80 males and 30 females. 20+ have been given away to family and friends. I have no immediate plans to continue this line...I'm debating if I should because their parents are simply run-of-the-mill petshop bettas. Dad costed me only RM4 (USD1.25) and mum, RM2.50 (USD0.80)..they're practically FOC, haha. You can see the parents' form in my 1st post..they're nothing to shout about. ^^; I guess I was just lucky to get a variety of nice-looking offspring..even then, they're nowhere near show quality where I live (and not exactly commercially viable). xD;

But anyway, if I were to breed them siblings, which do you think I should pick? I'm leaning more towards the Cambodian Butterfly (1st pic), Pastel/cellophane and then the Black Orchid. They're less common.

I actually have a new pair of Red Dragons which I'm trying to breed now. The father recently ate most of the eggs...lol. So much headache and heartache. I may just switch back to my beloved CTs, shrugs.

The pics are taken with an iPad 3, btw. I think it rivals a DSLR. ^^

#36 ·
I dont know to much about ct form but these guys are sharp looking. They arent perfect but I dont think they are to far off.

#38 ·
I love the one in the third picture. Congrats on the spawn.

#40 ·
I guess it's because most pet store betta are genetic messes. Considering the parents' colours and what they produced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.