Betta Fish Forum banner

Help! Two sick betta's!

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Synthisis 
#1 ·
Did a water change in both Koi and Pineapple's tank last night.

Woke up this morning to find both fish laying on the bottom of their tanks twitchings.

Koi swims at a 45degree angle
Pineapple swims on his side, got pinapple in his cup but he swam out and jsut spiraled to the bottom of his tank and then landed upside down.

They are both in their tanks, water parameters are fine. Temps between 78-82.

#2 ·
Well I gave them both a warm salt bath and then switched them over to their cups and put them in about 90% bottled spring water.

So far pineapple is still on his side, lots of gill movement the whole time. Koi is either on his side, or point strait up to get air.

#4 ·
I always condition my water for 30minutes-1hour before mixing it into the tank.

Koi is looking better... hes jsut swimming normally in his cup right now.

Pineapple is moving his fins more and looking more alert, but is still on his side, or lays against the side of his cup.

#7 ·
He always uses actual conditioner. I think he uses Prime like me. It's just strange because they were fine last night, swimming like normal.

#8 ·
Well they are still in their cups and my parents are keeping an eye on them while Im out of town. Apparnetly they are doing fine now. Koi isnt as active as usual... I think its ok there, and Pineapple is swimming around. Guess Ill see tomorrow.

#12 ·
They were fine for 3-4 hours in the tanks... then I woke up to half comatose fish.

I have a 30gallon and all those fish are fine, so whatever it was only affected my male betta's.

I have them divided in my 5 gallon right now.
Koi got most of his color back, but you can tell is still recovering.
Pineapple has his color, but is staying to himself... mostly floating with the plants in the tank.

Whatever happened, affected them both severly... I mean Pineapple wasnt able to swim and when he slipped from his cup he just tumbled over himself to the bottom where he landed upside down twitching.. So far this is a great recovery!

Both fish are also eating also. Koi gave me a funny look so I dropped in a pellet and he like murdered it. So I dropped in another and then gave Pine some bloodworms.

They are doing ok, im scared to change the water with anything not bottled though.

Does Petsmart do water tests?

#14 · (Edited)
Well Pineapple is back to the bottom of the tank breathing heavily.

Looks like I will be putting him in his cup in some clean salted bottled water.

Ive noticed they are very "jittery," any thoughts to this?

Koi seems to swim mostly nose up.

And the petsmart water test was useless. They tested my nitrates and PH and said it was fine for tap water.

#15 ·
I have said this so many times... but he does not believe me. I think it's the filters he put in on the intake tube. They were fine before he added them. It could have been a bad shipment or something that the store had ... it could be a fluke thing with them. But that is my top guess.... however since I am the girlfriend he's being stubborn with me on the idea.

#17 ·
The tank has pure bottled water in it and brand new gravel. So no.

Right now they are both in their cups floating in the 10gallon.

From what Ive observed they are both still stiff... They are kind of in an S shape, with their heads being the top of the S the the beginning of their tails being the bottom.

Pineapple will be tipsy every so often, and Koi seems to like to float more vertically.

Im stumped. They are going to stay in their cups for the week, with some salted water every other day.

#22 ·
I hate seeing both of them like this... especially Koi... he loves any attention, look over and he would get excited.

Koi is currently stuck in an S shape.
Pineapple is mildly bend and lacks balance... every now and then he'll take a tumble.

Hate seeing them like this... not sure what Im gona do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.