betta fish

Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #1051 
charliegill110

so cute!
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #1052 
Elsewhere

Thanks, Charlie, I think so too :D

As all of you know, I'm incredibly impatient, especially when I buy fish from my FB group who always have such healthy fish/axolotls (except for Mischa, but I knew what I was getting into with her) and so as soon as Ned had some time to relax and I knew he was eating (seriously he's a pig, he'll eat anything I put in front of him) I put him in the 55. It's been about ten minutes and it's going well. The four of them are clumped together in the corner right now and Ned is climbing all over the PVC pipe. The others are uninterested in him so far. The filter is on pretty high right now, when I put the fresh water in it stirred up the PVC and apparently there was a bunch of crap hiding under that. I'm planning on trying to stop the flow from being so heavy with water bottles so I can keep it on as strong as it is, try and keep the tank cleaner for them. I'm also thinking of adding a bubbler, get more air flow in there, I've seen Crowley going up to the surface more often in the last couple of days. Hopefully it all won't prove to be too stressful for them; I'll be keeping a watchful eye to make sure they're fine.

Hopefully I can update with pictures today or tomorrow!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #1053 
Elsewhere

Apparently Ned isn't liking this whole "everyone has their own corner" thing. He's forced Mischa and Crowley into an axolotl pile up by the flower pot, only Achlys escaped to the PVC pipe. Ned's been swimming on top of and underneath everyone this whole time, crawling all over the tank, just going wild. Achlys was never this crazy active, even when he was little, he was always pretty chill. Crowls was like this until she got to a certain size, and Mischa's always been kinda calm. Ned's the first one to come in here fully grown and rarin' to go. Mischa looks like she hates everything, but at least Ned looks pleased as punch. I somehow managed to lose that camera AGAIN, so no cute pics tonight :(
Old 10-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #1054 
Elsewhere

Hey guys. Long time no see. The last month hasn't been super fun, I've been going to the doctor a lot and on top of all that, the motherboard of my laptop fried. I just got a new one last night, which is why I'm posting now, since I actually can. My cellphone shuts down if I try to open a forum as big as this, it can't even handle Google.

A lot has happened. Last Sunday Mischa laid eggs, and then on Tuesday Crowley decided to join in on the fun and she started to lay too. I've given away probably around eighty eggs, but I still have hundreds. Unfortunately, most of Mischa's died since I wasn't very practiced at removing eggs from the tank. But Crowley's are all growing well, which is actually a bit unfortunate as well since if no one else steps up for some eggs I'll have to cull most of them.

I also made an executive decision to give away the males. It wasn't easy, but I was so worried that something would happen to Mischa while she was laying since she's so small and I was so unprepared, and I can't go through an unexpected laying again or raising them again. They went home with my friend Val who I trust very much and who takes excellent care of her animals. She's been sending me pictures and updates all this week and keeps telling me how excited she is. Ned went with her, and Achlys to her boyfriend's sister, who also took a large number of eggs to raise and who is also keeping in contact and sending pictures. I made the right choice, even if I miss the two of them like crazy. I'll be raising probably twenty or thirty of the eggs, and out of those I'll pick two females to keep and sell the rest to people in this area.

Does anyone on here who lives in Canada want some eggs? I can ship them out since under the law they technically aren't a living thing as they haven' hatched yet.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #1055 
charliegill110

instead of culling you could try giving/selling them to a pet store. also try reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/aquaswap and https://www.reddit.com/r/axolotls/
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #1056 
Elsewhere

Luckily, I've found people! I contacted every pet store and I posted on every forum (no pet stores want them) but someone is willing to take early all of them and I've found enough other people that I can get rid of all but a handful to raise myself. I didn't want to cull them, but if it came down to it I would rather sacrifice some of them for others to live. It's a crappy situation but I'm a first time breeder as well as being in my senior year and life is nuts, y'know? BUT I don't have to think about that, because they'll all go to homes!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #1057 
Elsewhere

The eggs were mostly given away, and I kept 52 of them. Thus far, 28 have hatched and only one has died. The larvae are doing great, eating plenty of brine shrimp and are very active. I have what looks like twelve melanoids and sixteen albinos/leucistics/wilds. Brine shrimp are hatching well, and the eggs are slowly coming alond. Some of the larvae are already getting rather large, it's all very exciting!