Betta Fish Forum banner

Rain: A Baby Betta Growing Up (Pic Heavy!)

6K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  DerangedUnicorn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! This is a journal I am going to keep that keeps track of my new baby betta's growth & progress. I wanted to record it for my own entertainment, as well as yours. So far, I think Rain is a he. Probably VT, but I'm hoping for anything else. (fingers crossed?) I bought him on 9/24/13. So without further ado, I give you Rain.

His tank:

Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Plant Aquatic plant

The day he came home (9/24):

Fish Blue Fish Cobalt blue Organism

Green Fish Organism Fish Adaptation

Please excuse the scratches on the tank. :oops:

Organism Fish Marine biology Tail

Flower Tulip Plant Petal Flowerpot

I think this is the cutest picture. Giving his new mom attitude already. Bad boy.

Fictional character Tail

See less See more
#3 ·
Day 6 (9/30)

These pictures are from day 6. I took like a bajillion pics. It was hard to pic my faves, so this post has A LOT of pictures. Sorry.

Fish Fish Organism Tail Electric blue

Green Fish Fish Organism Tail

Fish Fish Organism Tail Glass

Fish Fish Organism Tail

Little flare!

Fish Aquarium decor Fish Aquarium Freshwater aquarium

I was using the mirror to try to get him to flare. When I was trying to take this picture, he swam behind the mirror, out of view, but I caught his tail!

Blue Red Balloon

Fish Blue Fish Purple Organism

Fish Organism Fish Tail Wrasses

Spider Invertebrate Arachnid Organism Tarantula

Organism Fish Fish Tail Art

Fish Fish Green Turquoise Organism

Organism Insect

Fish Fish Tail Organism Aquarium

Fish Fish Organism Aquarium Tail

#5 ·
I got a new heater for Rain today. The other one kept the temp at at least 76, but it would fluctuate too much from 76-80. That made me uncomfortable. So, I got a hydor heater. It is not very accurate because I had to turn the dial to 84 to get the temp to 81. Grr. But at least it's keeping at 81. I saw other peoples reviews that said they had to continue to keep turng up the dial to keep the same temp, so I hope that doesn't happen to me. Have you guys ever dealt with a hydor heater or maybe dealt with this issue with another heater?

I'm going to post this in the betta habitat forum too, so maybe I can get some more answers.

Anyways, does anyone have an opinion on tail type, gender, or color of Rain? Thanks guys. No pics today though.

#15 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to see the end result, but at the same time, I don't want him to grow up! lol. It's bittersweet.

I've had the same issues with Hydor heaters, they aren't accurate, but they work well. I have one set at 84 to keep the temp about 80 - and it holds pretty steady, the other one is in a smaller tank and seems to be more accurate, set at 81/82 and sits at 80. I can't wait til he loses his stripes and colors up a bit!
Well, I think I figured it out. I got it on 79 & it's staying at 82, so I'm happy enough. & thank you. I can't wait till his stripes go away either.

I just bought that purple monster thing for my tank! :O It's bigger then I thought though haha. Or maybe it just looks huge with the tiny betta...

He's adorable!! ^-^
Thank you. Yeah, the monster thing is kinda big, but I have it in a 2.5 gallon, so that gives you more of a scale.

I think he might be a she! Very pretty female veil tail!
Yeah. I am hoping for a he, but you can't be 100% sure right now. I just haven't seen ovaries. Plus, he is flaring & makes bubble nests, but we'll see.

#11 ·
I've had the same issues with Hydor heaters, they aren't accurate, but they work well. I have one set at 84 to keep the temp about 80 - and it holds pretty steady, the other one is in a smaller tank and seems to be more accurate, set at 81/82 and sits at 80. I can't wait til he loses his stripes and colors up a bit!

#16 ·
Today I went out & bought some things for my ten gallon. But I also got Rain some java moss & a new friend. His old friend, Gary, unfortunately passed away a few days ago. I never had a snail before, so I didn't know better, but I don't think there was enough algae in my tank to feed him, so I think he starved. :( (R.I.P. Gary)

Anyways, Rain's new friend, Mr. Storm, is an African dwarf frog. They've been in the tank together for a few hours now. I've been keeping an eye on them, but they seem to be getting along. They are very curious about one another. If anyone has any tips on African dwarf frogs, please feel free to add them here. I will try to add new pictures of the two soon.

#19 ·
Week 2! (10/8)

These pictures were taken this past Tuesday. When I checked on Rain that morning, I noticed a big change in his colors. It's kind of hard to tell in these pictures, but I thought someone must have stole my fish & replaced it with another. I'm not sure why the change is so dramatic all of the sudden. It was literally over night. So, here's the pictures.

Green Aquarium Aquarium decor Plant Glass

Fish Fish Room Tail

I think he looks like a little shark in this picture.

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Fish Organism Plant

#20 ·
Then on day 15 (10/9)...

...his colors changed even more! It's like they are slowly washing off of him!

Water Tail

Purple Violet Organism Water Plant

Do you guys see ovaries?

Fish Tail Fish Bluegill Aquarium

How about in this one?

Tail Fish Fish

Fish Fish Organism Feeder fish Adaptation

Here is Rain with his new froggy friend, Michigan J. Frog. Michie for short because I think it's a girl frog, so Michie sounds more feminine.

Fish Fish Feeder fish Bass Tail

Do you see ovaries here?

Fish Fish Tail

Or here?

Fish Fish Tail

Hummingbird Bird Tail Glass

Organism Tail Fish Fish Plant

Fish Fish Organism Tail

#22 ·
Now today, day 16 (10/10)

Again, his color is disappearing. I now think Rain is a girl, because now that his/her body is part see-through, I believe I see ovaries. What do you guys think? Also, is s/he turning into a marble betta? I'm just scared that maybe this dramatic color change in such a short period of time could be a sign of stress or sickness. I've added the African dwarf frog this past Sunday and then added some java moss this past Monday. Tuesday is when I noticed the change. Could the frog or the moss be the cause of these changes? Rain and the frog are living peacefully together so far. Rain's behavior has not changed at all. So, is s/he just having a sort of color growth spurt? Okay, now pictures.

Plastic bottle

Purple Violet Organism Plant Amethyst

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium Organism

Water Tail Fish Organism Fish

Tire Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Rim

Now, here are some pictures of Michie.

Leaf Green Plant Flower Plane

Lizard Reptile Scaled reptile Iguania Amphibian

Green Water Aquarium Organism Tree

#25 ·
Yeah. Rain is big enough now that I can actually see there's a fish in the tank from across the room.

How's it going with your frog? I originally named mine Mr. Storm, but it didn't fit, so now it's Michie. Have you found a good way to feed your frog yet?

#26 ·
Not yet. I left some blood worms in his plate last night and turned out all the lights. i read that ADF use there nose to find food so i thought that might be a good idea. I have no idea if he ate them or not but all 3 were gone by the morning. (Mars looked alittle bloated) Im still thinking of ideas now. tell me if you've figured out anything and vice versa

#27 ·
You can try to feed the frog with larger tweezer's unless he's shy. I'm pretty sure Michie is a boy but I'm definitely no expert at sexing frogs lol. I just remember something about there being pinkish colors under the armpits, like glands or something.

It's difficult to tell because in the last page of pictures it looked like it was just stomach but in these pictures it looks like there is the shape of the ovaries behind the stomach there. Can you get pictures with a light behind the tank and you take a picture from front so basically the light is looking at the camera? You should be able to see sort of through the fish to see if there is any shape of ovaries :) Beautiful pictures though! I wish I had gotten as nice of pictures of my little ones as you did of Rain!

And no, she's not sick, that's just marbling ^_^

#28 ·
Thank you, lilnaugrim! I won't be able to take pictures this weekend. I will try to get pictures of her with the light behind her on Monday, but that will be a challenge to line up the light & the camera with the little stinker. She never stops moving! A photoshop lasts for an hour or more to get those good pictures. There's a million more that aren't good. Lol.

I think Michie is a girl because the boys have the bumps under their arms, but I really have no clue. I don't see any. Anyways, it's Michie either way. Lol.

I'm glad I got lucky enough to get a marble. I would never have guessed Rain would turn out to be a marble! How exciting!

#29 ·
I don't know if you can do it or not, but with that hood I actually just let mind slide in the back so it's between the wall and the tank and that helps me so I don't have to hold the light and try to take a picture. It's also easier than a flashlight since it covers more space. But I can't tell if your tank is against a wall or not lol. You might be able to balance it between a heavy book or two and against the tank if it's not. Otherwise...look for a big flashlight I guess!

And yeah, totally know what you mean. I usually spend near two hours taking pictures of my fish and end up with 200+ photo's generally that I go through and pick out the best which usually ends up being maybe 5-10 photo's if I'm lucky XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.