Betta Fish Forum banner

Good mates for 10g?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Draug Isilme 
#1 ·
So yeah, a friend of mine is wanting to have tank mates with a betta and we're trying to figure out what would be good little fishie roomies for a 10g. I wanna say tetras and cories are good(?) and I don't believe she's into the idea of getting any snails or shrimp... so yeah... any other good mates?

#3 ·
Thanks ^.^ I'll run these by her and see what she thinks of them

#4 ·
Be careful, some tetras can be nippy. It all depends on the demeanor of the betta, too. I have my new betta in a 10 gallon and tried pairing him with 4 panda platys. He freaked out so much he started eating his own tail. Once I returned the platys he stopped.

Cory catfish are good choices, but keep in mind they grow to at least 2 inches so she should only get 3.

Ghost shrimp are an option, but they may end up as snacks.

#5 ·
Yeah, I've warned her that she needs to watch out for temperament. Right now, her betta (female) is in quarantine. Not sure if she's gonna make it at the moment.... but yeah... Anyway, I thought that cories were schooling fish and it'd be best to have them in 5's or so? *shrugs* Then again, I haven't really dealt with them or researched just yet so I wouldn't know.... but it seems like cories would be a good choice since they're more bottom dwellers(?) and a bit more out of a betta's way. I know tetra's are mid-swimmers, but if they're nippy, then I'm not quite sure at the moment... I suppose it would depend on if we could take them back or not.. >.>

#7 ·
Yeah, I was assuming that, it makes a lot of sense ^.^ Although at the moment since my friends female is in quarantine, there's really no telling if she'll get a new betta or not.... -.- Long story short, my friend kept her in a small tank and didn't change the water frequently enough so now her betta has ammonia poisoning... I'm working on helping my friend to understand how to take care of fish better at the moment and also trying to help her fish pull through.... So yeah >.>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.