Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #1 
Kithy

Thinking of breeding, opinions?

After getting a pretty fish my husband brought up breeding him. While it's a huge time and money investment it is something I'd like to try at the very least.

But I need to know first what exactly would be a good combo with my new guy. I guess my goals are to keep similar colors though perhaps a little bolder. He looks like an HM so I assume if I wanted to keep that tail I would stick in the HMs for a female but could I go with a SD? And the EE thing, not even sure how that goes.

So yes, I'm not sure how to pair him. Solid color? Similar salamander(is that the correct term for the color pattern?) pattern... I just don't know.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #2 
Whittni

He's definitely a looker, hopefully some breeders can help.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #3 
trilobite

Hes nice. EE is recessive so youd need at least F2 to get it back unless the girl is EE too.
Finnage wise Id choose a girl with sharper tail edges and a broader dorsal. Ive got no experience with those types of colours so have no idea how its inherited lol. But if you want to replicate his colour Id go for a similar coloured girl
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #4 
SerenaRena
Banned

beautiful fish :) goodluck with breeding
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He looks lavender - correct me if I'm wrong. Not really sure 100% but so far I believe a female from the cambodian line would give you his color. By cambodian line, I mean red cambodian, red cambodian with rather red body, bright red (specially the paler ones), yellow, orange. Since he carries a tint of irid (the blue-purple look) perhaps a cambodian with irids may work too.

Combined to a royal blue will also give you his color, but not as many. And you will also get rather darker shaded lavenders, and many blue-red multi.

Remember I've never experimented on this color. I've only observed other people's results.

Whether you use HM or super delta, find a female with pointy edged caudal and balanced fins. SDeT may not give you that many HM in F1 but you should get more in F2 and 3.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 
Kithy

Thank you all very much! I wouldn't have thought to look for a more sharp edged caudal fin. I've been browsing around on aquabid and found a couple of females but I will look at them more closely now after having all your advice. Seems as though half the battle is finding a perfect female!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #7 
Kithy

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1369853405 Would you say something like this or do you mean more red in her body rather than pale?

Although I like this girl too. Not sure they'd work so well though.

Last edited by Kithy; 05-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, something like that. Ask about her background - just to give you more understanding of how genetics work. Often what physically shows gives us surprising results.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote