Betta Fish Forum banner

Hi Everyone! New to fish keeping

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here looking to get a Male Betta soon. I've been looking around for only a couple days but this forum seems very nice and helpful So I'm very excited to be a member! :)

I'm completely new to fish. Completely. We had those small in very small tanks, ponds etc. when I was little. No cycling, no research and everything was pretty bad. The fish died in a week, if that. :|

A couple years later as I grew, (I'm now a teen) my love of animals got even stronger. I love most animals but unfortunately, my parents don't. I'm not allowed to have any dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs... the 'big time consuming pets' and of course no reptiles or insects. (Mom has a phobia :tongue:)

I decided on a hamster. They do live in a cage so no mess around the house (but they do need a large cage, and like any animal research needs to be done so you can give them the best life possible. :) ) Long story short, After 8 months of researching and convincing parents with strong opinions, I finally found my first pet in a WHILE my Syrian hamster, Cole. :grin:

I've had him for about 6 months now and I'm looking for another pet. I don't have too much space, and another 'big pet' is too time consuming. After asking around I decided on a single Betta in a 5 gallon tank.

I'm here to cram all the knowledge I can into my brain. In a couple months I would like to start searching for Bettas... but only after I've done my research.

This is a totally new thing for me.. Fish care. So I might ask lots and lots of questions. I'll ask very specific questions and through hamster care, I find that 99% of the detailed stuff I worry about isn't an issue and I just ignore it or rarely need it. :p But it's always good to know.

I'm particularly worried about fish because they live in water. I want my fish to have the best life possible so I'm a little paranoid that the water conditions have to be perfect, or my fish will live a unhealthy, happy life. :-?

Well, that's pretty much it! I look forward to seeing you all around and researching. ;-) any advice for a new fish owner?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! :3 Good luck. Ask as many questions as you like! A lot of dedicated Betta keepers (and fish keepers) on here love to give their best advice to beginners :)

A good thread to have on hand: (Lol I actually went and got all the links until I remembered this index..

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=99450

My advice: Get to know your Betta! (His behavior etc) because it will help you as an owner, and also help you realize when something is wrong! Honestly! And DONT get lazy on water changes etc... Love and cherish your baby :)

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Don't worry about your new betta because you came here to do research and give him the best life possible. I'm sure you'll do just fine. There is a ton of information here for you and ask any questions that you need to along the way.

#5 ·
Glad to have you here!!
You sound like you truly care about the well-being of your animals!

Dont worry about water conditions so much, as long as they are stable, warm, and you use water conditioner your fish will be fine! :)

Goodluck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.