Betta Fish Forum banner

betta question.. please respond!

870 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  123qweasdzxc1234 
#1 ·
i have a tropical tank and was wondering if a male beta couldbe added to it. ive seen it done befoer but wasnt sure if they were compatible with assortments of trpical fish. please respond im getting fish for my tank today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
It really depends on the temper of the Betta that determines if it could be added to a community tank.
I am really not that familiar with tropical fish, so hopefully someone more experienced will drop by and be able to help u more!

#3 ·
What specific other fish do you have in your tropical tank? There are a lot of tropical-type fish that will harrass the slower moving betta (and vice versa) and his fins can definitely be a target for nipping...

#5 ·
What size is the tank? I hope it is at least 20g with your current stocking.

The biggest problem I see with this mix-is feeding the Betta-you have two species of fish that will out compete him for food....Platies can sometimes nip fins and if you have platy fry the Betta will enjoy them as a snack.....

Filtration can also be an issues-if it is too strong the Betta may have problems with that as well and you can see fin damage, hiding and/or appetite loss-the younger the Betta the more tolerant they tend to be with water flow/current.

Also, you need to add to your cory cat school...at least 4-6 and 8-10 is better all depending on the tank size.

#8 ·
Okay 40gal- I would add 8 more cory cats for sure...they feed off the bottom so no competition for the Betta...the danios are fast and can out compete other fish for food and no the Betta usually will not eat all the fry just enough to keep the population under control....I would have a back up plan for the Betta and give it a try and see if it will work...best way to find out....and post some pic......

#10 ·
Cory cats are social fish and will do better if kept in groups-when kept alone they tend to be stressed and stressed fish can be a sick fish....they usually will not bother fry unless the fry is sick or injured hiding on the bottom and then the cory may eat it but they usually will not go hunting for healthy fry-also cory cats are bottom feeders and most livebearer fry stay at the top since they are top or surface feeders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.