Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta won't eat :(

10K views 237 replies 13 participants last post by  RedRaz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I have had my betta Raz for two weeks now and this little guy just will not eat. I have tried flakes, two different types of pellets, freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms and he just won't eat a thing. *sigh* I'm starting to get really worried too. The weird thing is that he looks perfectly healthy. Swims around, flares, follows me when he sees me. Is he depressed? Sick internally? Am I freaking out for no reason? Is this normal for a betta to do? :-(

I have a 2.5 gal tank with filter, heater, live plants, snail.
temp is at 78 degrees
Water tested normal

#2 ·
I though you wrote that he ate crashed pellets and a few blood worms? Is he refusing them now? I read when someone had new betta and he didn't eat for 2 weeks and then finally started.

I don't know i would worry too. Offer for a few more days and if there is no changes i would try aquarium salt. I read that people write that it can boost immune system and it also antibacterial.
I know someone who had betta and it just never ate and died and he didn't have any symptoms at all.
So i would wait and then use aq salt it better to try then loose him.

#3 ·
I thought he was but realized he was spitting them out *pellets*. Won't touch the flakes and won't eat pellets crushed either. He ate half a blood worm once. That is it. Yeah I will try the salt. I just don't know what else to do. Thanks.

#5 ·
I have a question about the salt. I have live plants and a nerite snail. Will they be okay with the salt?

#6 ·
I also noticed Raz has a few black spots on his scales but only on one side. I never saw that before. :( What could that be?

#7 ·
not sure and he is not eating which makes his immune system weaker.Black spots not one spot? Can you post his picture? Is he still active? I would really do aquarium salt.
Do you have hospital tank? If not just lower the water so you can do daily 100% water changes.
Pre mix 1tsp/gall in one gall jug or if you don't have one gall use any clean container/cup to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you using it. Make sure the water the same temperature so acclimate him to new water.
You need to do daily 100% water changes.
Do you have stress coat ? I would use it.

#9 · (Edited)
No dont use the the salt with snails and plants ! Do the black spots look like part of his coloring ? If you could get a picture of them that would help alot. Keep offering the food and take it out if he doesnt eat it, you could try to soak the pellets in some garlic juice which many people do so their Bettas will eat. Since he is acting normal try not to sorry to much I know though easier said then done. Its been two weeks so maybe he will start eating soon and its just taking he longer to get adjusted to his new home. If he doesnt eat soon we can send the Old Fish Lady a message and see what she says to try. Good luck and keep us posted to how he is doing.

Great you got a picture...okay I cant really see the spots. He looks healthy ...hhhmmm ...try the pellet soaked in some garlic juice, just smash one up and put the pellet in the juice for a couple of mins.

Also if you want to try the salt you could take the snail and plants out of his tank or put him in a smaller tank. But wait on that okay I really dont think what he needs is salt and not sure how much to add per gallon. I am going to message the Old Fish Lady to have a look at this thread.

#11 · (Edited)
yes plant and snail not salt tolerant. Looks pretty good. I guess keep trying ... Like i wrote before some betta takes longer then other before they start eating. It just scaring me . I know someone had betta that never ate....

aquarium salt can be from 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. I kind of agree that he might start eating ...may be wait a few more days and just make sure his water super clean...

#12 ·
Try soaking the pellets in garlic juice, the flavor and smell could entice him to eat.
If that doesn't work, try calling the store you bought him at and ask what they feed their bettas.

Aquarium salt 1 teaspoon per gallon, daily 100% water changes.
Do not use AQ salt for more than 10 days, if used longer it can cause organ damage.

#13 ·
Looks like normal pigment and nothing to worry about...

Since he is new and otherwise acting normal and responding to you....What I would recommend....Make 50% water only change-leaving him in the tank-turn off the filter/water movement for now. Don't add any salt-especially in his tank.....

Leave the filter off until he starts to eat-then rinse it out good before you start it again, however, IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially in smaller tanks with long fin males-since the filter can sometimes be the cause of fin damage and stress.

What kind of live plant and how many-depending on the type of plant and if it is thriving it will take care of the water along with water changes-Once I know what kind of plant-we can give you better directions on water change needs.

If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer a couple rinsed and see if he will eat them.
Its not uncommon for them to go off food for awhile in a new environment-especially with water movement-A Betta can go a fair amount of time without eating-Its not ideal---but 2 weeks he should be fine provided that he was healthy to start.

As Perseusmon posted-you can lace the pellets in fresh crushed garlic juice-often the garlic will stimulate appetite. Also, try other brand of food if you have some-but live food is best if you have access to any...

Keep us posted....

#16 ·
As for live plants I have 1 anubias and I don't know the name of the other one. Here is a pic maybe someone can tell me what it is. I don't have access to live mosquito larva. Any other live food suggestions? I will try the pellets soaked in garlic juice. Hopefully he will eat something. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

#14 ·
Here is the form you need to fill out it will help all those trying to help.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)

#15 ·
Here is all the info I know

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nerite snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio-gold pellets, Aqueon pellets, Tetra freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try feeding twice a day (morning and night)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Quick start at first with stress coat now only with just Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? black line on the scales
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Gets mopey from time to time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days after I bought him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just bought him IDK
How old is your fish (approximately) IDK

#18 ·
Looks like some kinda of Sword plant. About the live foods, your local fish shop might have some live blood worms or you could get some frozen ones, also you might want to check and see if they have any New Life Spectrum Betta pellets, those are very good and of the best foods for Bettas on the market ! I could not find them in mine and had to order on line on Amazon.

#19 ·
Thank you sunlight, teeneythebetta, Oldfishlady and Perseusmom! You all were very helpful. I appreciate your advice. I will definitely keep you all posted on how my little Raz does. I plan for him to be around for a long time. The 10 gal tank on the side is the proof. So I hope he starts eating soon. I will try the garlic soaked pellets and then live food. I hear that I have to be careful with live food though because it can cause ich. Is this true?

Thanks for that rec Perseusmom! I might have to buy those pellets online though. The Petco by me does not have a great selection of betta food. The stores in the city are always out of things.

#20 ·
That plant looks more like java fern than a sword to me, and you shouldn't bury the rhizome or it will rot. You can bury just the roots though, or tie it something in your tank.

About live food, it's more known for causing internal parasites, but there is a small risk of ich if the food has been exposed to it. You won't have to worry about it if your betta eats with garlic though. Good luck!

#21 ·
Yes I believe you are right! Thanks I could not remember what it was. Oh that is good to know. I will make sure I fix that. That plant has some brown spots on it and am trying to get it to recover. Hopefully now it will.

Oh wow that sounds worse! Internal parasites! Eeeek! I hope hope hope he will eat the pellets with garlic. I will try it this evening when I get home from school. Thanks for your help. :)

#22 ·
Update on Raz: Well I tried the pellets with garlic and he didn't even look at it. *sigh* I did notice that he is more active since I turned off the filter. I will try another type of pellet with garlic tomorrow. If he still doesn't eat it then I will have to try the live food. I really didn't want to go to that but he has to eat something.

#23 ·
If the brown spots are on the bottom of the leaf, they may be spores which is normal. They reproduce just like ferns on land.

Sorry to hear that he turned down the first pellet with garlic, but I wouldn't worry too much about live food. I personally don't use it, but many people on here feed it. Maybe you could try searching for topics about it or make a new one?

Good luck with the second pellet!

#24 ·
Update on Raz: I bought a different brand of frozen blood worms and two different pellets (New Life Spectrum and Omega One) and he didn't seem interested in any of them. *sigh* I don't know what else to do. I'm looking into live food but honestly I'm not sure he will even eat that. He is simply not interested in food at all. He doesn't even try to eat it. Do you think something is internally wrong *like a parasite*?

#26 ·
I t could be parasites is the reason he is not wanting to eat, his weight for now looks alright though he is not to thin. If you could find out what they feed their Bettas where you got him it might help and tell them about his not eating and just see what they say. Other than that if he doesnt start eating soon you may want to treat him for parasites but we can ask others about that since I really dont know what meds they use for that. When they do have parasites their poop is white and stringy looking and their tummy can become bloated looking.

Hang in there we will figure something out to help Raz he is so pretty !!!!

#27 ·
My hubs and I were thinking parasites too. I asked the pet store and they said pellets and then also said I could return him and get a new betta. :shock: So they were no help. Well I see stringy whitetish poop but then again I have white gravel too. Should I get a med tank? Also I was planning on doing 100% water change today...should I still do that?

Awww thanks! I'm trying to stay positive but I'm so very worried.

#31 ·
He would go for the food when I first brought him home but later noticed he was spitting it out. So I don't believe he truly ate anything since. I have tried all types of food and nothing. I see poo but I have a snail too and it might actually be the snails poo. I just bought a hospital tank and I'm setting it up now. Yeah I hope he does too. This is my first betta so I would be heart broken if he didn't pull through. :-( Thanks for the advice.

#29 ·
for 3 weeks that he is not eating if it would be internal parasites he already would be probably severely bloated or lethargic. If it would be external parasites then he would have other symptoms like cover with white spots, lethargic, looks like his body covered with salt.
Is he bloated at all? Is he still active? You saying you have white gravel are you sure poop white and stringy?
White bump on his head i don't know what it is though. Maybe external something....not sure, but really think something is wrong and need to be treated ...

#37 ·
The poop can be stringy, BUT if white, stringy and broken up with the pieces inbetween looking like a very fine almost translucent hair...he will lose weight, and yes even lose the desire to eat. Lethargy, fin clamping etc can also be a sign. Being new it is possible he could have parasites, or even the snail/plants were the culprit. The white bump looks like either a parasite OR an area healing from damage (poked by hard plant will do that) which clean water for a wound is best. AQ salt would be good as it also helps boost his immune system. At this poit I may suggest trying live food if you can, or fasting for 1-3 days to somewhat force him to be hungry. IF it is an internal parasite an anti-parasite med is recommended. I use the Jungle fizz tabs for external/internal parasites with good results.

#32 ·
The slight lump by his tail is very faint but there. He swims fine and is pretty healthy looking. No upside down swimming or weird swimming. He does stay at the top a lot and barely goes to the bottom. That is not a bump on his head but an unfocused bubble on the surface. I was going to do a 100% water change today. I did a 50% water change on Saturday. His body is clear and fins look great. His color is bright and he is active. The only thing I can think of is constipation or an internal parasite. How would I know though?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.