Betta Fish Forum banner

sign my betta is dieing??

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bobbysgrl 
#1 ·
I've had my betta fish going on 4 years now, shocking enough since this site says they only live 3 years. Anyways, my fish is acting really diffrent and I want to know if one of you think it's a sign my fish is getting ready to die.

She was a very bright blue and red but now her body is white but everything else is just red. She tries to grab her food but she just gives it one shot then gives up, laying there on her plant like an old sleeping dog. She used to follow my finger and push her lilly pad around but all she does is lay around now. I used to pet her all the time like she was a cat or dog and she loved it but I haven't been able to lately because everytime I go try, she takes what ever energy she has to nip at me. So I just let her go and lay around in her tank.

I've always kept her tank the same temp for the past 4 years, i've kept it very clean with the right chemicals, and she's been eating the same pellets that she likes also. Nothing has changed except with her now. So can anyone please tell me if they know of anything I can do to help her or if I should just let her be because she's really old and ready to pass on?

thank you!

#2 ·
Water quality and whatever you have been doing. I have lost one from old age, I think, and while it was similar to your it was not the same. Mine went lythargic and got a crick in his tail almost like he had arthritis. Slowly stopped eating and died after about 2 months.

As for them only living 3 years, I have never seen this. Did you see it in the profiles? I have had adult bettas for at least 3 years before and know of many people who have had them 5-8 years from fry. Maybe some live food might perk him up and give him a new amount of energy and life.

#4 ·
thank you

well I signed up on here at bettafish.com but when I came to check your messages i ended up on fishforum.com but on the main page of bettafish.com it says they live up to 3 years.

thanks for telling me about the 2 year part. I had no idea fish stores sell them so old. Thanks for your advice, i'm going to continue to keep an eye on her and hope for the best. When I came home today she was floating in the water like if she had 2 legs and was standing up. It was freaky but at least she's still alive. Thanks again!

#5 ·
The best information I could find about Betta Splendens is they can live up to 6 years. I don't know how many other betta species are kept in the hoby but I did find some of them that can live a little longer.

Like any fish, captive bred or not, it can all depend on the conditions they were bred in, kept in and how well they are kept after we get them. Is like haivng a ghost/glass shrimp live 4 years and get to be 2 inche slong. Unheard of but I have seen one. Different species, maybe, but still proves the point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.