Betta Fish Forum banner

Buddy

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  bettababe 
#1 ·
:D Bettas are such beautiful and interesting fish! I have my betta his name is Buddy and since I improved his accomodations he seems happier than ever. He always recognizes me and immediately swims to the top of his small tank when I approach. He eats his food like a good boy and chases his reflection like crazy-what more can I ask for? :lol:

See less See more
#3 ·
sorry

:cry: i am sorry to hear about your lil betta-a lot of times when you buy them at pet stores they are sick-but bettas try to hold on. I got one a few months ago with little knowledge of their care and health problems and lost my first one in a matter of days also. I put him in a little bowl with untreated tap water (although I aged it in an empty water gallon 24 hours) and he seemed "okay". When I changed his water 3 days after getting him I got home to find him in a pitiful state. From then on I decided to take the best care and precaution of my next betta. I have had luck with Buddy so far, but I constantly check up on him, afetr all I am his Mommy. This forum is great for getting tips and advice on fish and aquarium care.

#4 ·
i find wen i c al the bettas in my lfs they r soooo lifeless and dull. i went to a different store in the next town and they had a betta in with a few neons and he looked so happy and healthy! i dont think i could have one with the fish i have i think it would get ripped to shreds :( tho i thought neons were nippers?? bizarre!!!
this site is extremely helpful and has helped me a lot learning lots that i didnt really know about fish :):)

(not as simple as i thought lololol)

#6 ·
With bettas even neons tend to be nippy. Please, don't take things you see being done at LFS's as an example of how to do things at home. There are a number of criteria that are so different between how things are done, its not practical or safe for a home environment in most cases.
To begin with, fish in a LFS are very temporary. This betta that is in the tank with neons may have been there for a week or more, but the neons in the tank with him will likely be different during the course of that same week. Neons stress easy, so their time spent in a LFS tank is not the place where they would typically be "nipping fins" or causing any type of issue for the few days they are there.
Bettas at LFS's also usually change almost weekly, depending on location. What can be achieved for a week or 2 is not always the same thing after 6 months or a year... when fish begin to mature and settle into a permanent environment with established territories.

Fishforum appreciates your compliments, and if I may speak on behalf of the admin and other mods here at FF, we always try our best to help give you accurate information as quickly as possible. It is the good members of this site that helps to make it complete and such a wonderful place to be. I enjoy helping here because I know it is needed and appreciated.
On behalf of FF, I say to the members as much as to the mods and admin... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

#12 ·
musho3210 said:
well that betta needs to have a home of its own, as well as that newt. Matt do you have an aquarium hood? You NEED an aquarium hood if you plan on keeping platies. They are jumping fish and might just jump a bit to far and land on the carpet.
ive never seen a platy jump ive had my to open more then 3 hours once and mine nevered jump.

#13 ·
I agree with Mush here, the betta is still safer by himself, and the newt is not a suitable tank mate if this is the tank we're speaking of:
10 gallon tank

3 Male plattys
3 Female Plattys
1 Betta
1 Common GoldFish
1 Fancy GoldFish
1 Japanese Newt

Newts also need tight covers, they like to climb out of tanks, and once they dry out, they're done for. Newts also need dry land to roam around on, higher humidity levels above water, proper lighting, and lots of decorations to hide in. Newts need a vivarium setup, and if kept in a fully submerged environment for too long, will die.

The goldfish also should have a much larger tank. That fish will grow to approimately 8 inches, and they are one of the dirtiest fish around. Bettas will eventaully chew apart the fins on fancy goldfish, which, in turn leaves the goldfish open to infection and many other issues. The common goldfish (comet) should also have a very large tank, and I don't suggest keeping them with fancy goldfish because they tend to bully the fancy goldfish as they get older and bigger. Comets grow to 14 inches long, and also are extremely messy and dirty. Both goldfish will need plenty of extra oxygen in their tank, as they are high consumers of oxygen compared to the typical "tropical" fish. The other reason for seperating the goldfish is because they are cold water fish, and should be kept at 65 - 68 degrees. The other fish are tropical fish, which means warm water (mid 70's - low 80's). The warmer the water the lower the oxygen content.

This is the time to sort them out, before there are problems. Goldfish tend to grow very very fast... from 2 inches to 6 inches inside of 6 - 8 months is typical for the comet, a bit slower for the fancy goldfish, but not much.

#14 ·
:wink: Bettas love to have their own space (like me I guess) and a small tank is ideal. My betta loves his new home, it's fun to watch him chase his reflection. But I only leave the light in his tank on a short while because he will get tired and stressed from trying to catch himself! Don't know much about plattys but I know Bettas can and will jump from uncovered jars/tanks/bowls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.