Betta Fish Forum banner

Some ideas...anyone?

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  rb500 
#1 ·
Since my poor little girl Anna and my little guy Spike passed away, I have a couple of empty tanks that make me sad to look at.
I have a few ideas for them, I just don't know what to do yet.
Okay, I have a 2 gallon bowl and a 10 gallon tank. Here are my ideas:
1.) Put Antubis in the 2 gallon bowl after he heals in the hospital tank and use the 10 gallon as a community tank with other fish.
2.) Put Antubis in the 2 gallon and divide the 10 gallon and get 2 more Betta.
3.) Get 2 ADF (I've researched them already) and put them in the 2 gallon bowl, and put Antubis in the divided 10 gallon after he heals and get another Betta for the other side.

Side note: I have been wanting ADFs for awhile now, I have no idea how long Antubis will be in his hospital tank, and I've been really interested in getting a King Betta next. :-D

If I do get a Betta for the 10 gallon, it will be divided, no way around that. If I did turn the 10 gallon into a community tank, I wouldn't know what to put in there. What would you guys do?

#3 ·
well i really like the ADFs, and more bettas is always wonderful, but you could try something knew, i have a 10 gallon guppy tank with some ghost shrimp....guppies are fun beacuse they are beautiful and friendly, easy to care for, and breed like rabbits. in matter of months your guppy population will have doubled :D. then you have a very shiny lively tank.

#4 ·
I have a friend who has guppies, I could definitely get some when/if I want them. I'm sorry though, they aren't that interesting in my opinion though.

I'm liking that idea though drama. :)

I have no idea when I'll be doing this so I definitely have time to plan it all out. Plus, I've noticed that a lot of my local pet stores do not have food for ADFs. If I cannot find it through them, I'd have to order it online and I'll definitely do that before I get any! :)

#8 ·
If you like the ADF's then I'd put them in the 2 gal and put Antubis and another betta in the 10 gal. Just make sure that you QT the new one for a few weeks first.

#11 ·
My adfs (Oingo and Boingo) are in my 2.5 gal with my new halfmoon. It's been a real challenge to feed them because they were initially in the 5 gal with my veiltail Baccus and he ate every bit of their food.

The halfmoon seems less interested in eating their frog pellets but I have to change out the gravel because he rocks are large and the frog pellets kind of get lost in them. So, I've been taking a turkey baster and squeezing thawed bloodworms in front of them. This seems to be working ok but the halfmoon loves them too.

Sigh.......

Just something to keep in mind if you experience the same with your froggies. If I come up with a foolproof method of feeding them, I'll post it here.

#13 ·
You could put Antubis in the 2 gallon bowl. Then make the 10 gallon a community that includes a new king betta. I have a 29 gallon community with my male crowntail and everyone is fine. In the community you could also have your 2 ADFS. :) Oh and as for the food, our stores never sold it either. We fed either the cubed bloodworms (they stick to the glass, you would have to stick them to the glass near the substrate, or the petstore told us we could feed hermit crab bits, which also worked.

#14 ·
I've only had one Betta successfully live with other fish, and that is because she came from someone that raised her with her sisters.
I'm too scared to try it with anymore Betta.
I've read so many places that bloodworms are bad for ADfs because it can damage their digestive system.
I've also read online about how to feed them without losing their food in the gravel. I don't think I would put ADFs in a community tank because I've read the hardest part about that is feeding them. Seems like other fish are always eating their food. I'd hate for them to starve.

Also, the petstore probably feeds them whatever they have. I was looking for a regular clear veggie clip for my tank and I asked one of the employees about the ones they use. She was like "oh, we usually have those in stock, but not at the moment." then walks up to her little cart with a basket FULL of these veggie clips. I wonder why she couldn't have just given one of those to me. :/

#15 ·
I went to my lfs yesterday and bought some flat clear stones which i put on top of the gravel in the adf tank. then i sank the pellets so that they fell on top of the stones. it seems to be working fine now. i realize that i could not feed them bloodworms exclusively.

p.s. i did manage to leave the store without bringing home another betta. but that doesn't mean i won't be looking for more space to house one LOL.

#16 ·
Dumb question - what does adf stand for?

#19 ·
Ahh okay. Thanks.

#21 ·
I like option 3 lol, seems to combine all your favorite aspects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.