Betta Fish Forum banner

30 watt heater?

678 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  aBlondes 
#1 ·
I have a 5.5 tank... would it be okay to purchase a 30 watt heater? Here is the description:

"The HT-10 submersible heater is suitable for aquariums up to 30 gallons in size. The electronic thermostat automatically adjusts heat output to keep the water at a constant 78 degrees F. All you have to do is place in the aquarium and plug it in."

I know someone told me that for a 5.5g tank a 10-25 watt is suitable... so would it matter much buying 30w? Please help :-?

(I'm thinking of ordering online. I have no real fish stores near me, and I don't drive :p)

#3 ·
*Edit: It's 50 watts... Description is still the same

#4 ·
Preset heaters tend to not heat the water enough or overheat the water--I would only buy one with an adjustable temperature dial. It will give you stability as well as control so you can adjust the temperature if the fish gets sick with a bacterial infection (requiring lower temps) or external parasites (requiring higher than normal temps). Adjustable ones are all-around better products. I use this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368

#5 ·
Oh, okay. And would it be okay to purchase a 50 watt one? Since the temperature is adjustable?

#6 ·
Since it's a 5G tank, I guess you could probably get away with it. I would go with a 25watt, though. It's always best to go with what the device is designed for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.