Betta Fish Forum banner

Rescue needs help!

954 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  aurasoulful 
#1 ·
So I brought a new little guy home today but he is in rough shape. His cup was so filthy I just could not leave him there. He has some fin rot or at least the begining of fin rot with black ends to his fins and some curling. What concerns me more is the bits of red on his fins. I am going to try to post some pictures I hope it works! I've got him in clean 80 degree water with aq salt and stress coat to treat, what else can/should I do for him? He is swiming ok and ate 2 pellets.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure what the red dots are, but seems like you are doing everything right to ensure that he will be healthy and happy! And it is a plus that he actually ate and is swimming around. Most fish don't swim and eat at first when they are first put in their new homes. From looking at the pic he seems just a little skinny, so I'd monitor his eating. Other than that I think you've got everything covered! :) Congrats on ur new lil guy!

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you for resquing him! You seem to be on par with the advice given for fin rot- I'd add that you gotta change the water a lot more than with a healthy fish, but I bet you know that. You have such a gorgeous veil tail!

Oh, does he have a hiding space? Hiding spaces and plants (silk or real) reduce stress in fish. You could add tetracycline to the tank and then Betta-max for a month once he's better- but that's probably best saved for emercengies such as if your current treatment does not seem to be working.

#6 ·
Yeah I will up the water changes and I have a filter I will hook up later on when I am sure he is all good :) Here are his digs, before and now. It's a little bare but I wanted to hurry and get him out of that cup!

#8 ·
Awe..fait shur brought u and ur bettas together in the nice of time " good luck & best of wishes

#9 ·
Thanks guys I am definately glad I brought him home! He is still on the mends with the fin rot but he doesn't seem to be in any real danger. I do have another question. You can't really tell in the picture but he also has a few streaks on his fins that look algae stained green and I'm pretty sure it's just not his color. Should I treat this any differently? Also his fins don't seem to be shrinking just really ragged at the ends like when I got him, should I continue the salt treatment? I did a 100% change today and added more stress coat along with Tetra Aqua Safe and Tetra Easy Balance (do I need both? I've always used both because thats what my mom bought when I was younger) Thanks guys! I (and he) really appreciate all your help!

#11 ·
oh, ew.... dunno if that's just rotting food, or algae! Dx that's one gross cup. x: his new tank looks great! :D
It was covered in brown algae which is why I'm surprised his fins look like they're streaked with green algae. Seriously gross!! I was livid when I saw him, cup dirty and cracked! I picked up his cup and told him he couldn't die before we got home, told my hubby he was coming with us, and told the lady at the register to ring him up! lol. He's moving a little slow but I think he's a keeper.

One funny story (sorry this is long) We named him Alex Louis Armstrong from FullMetal Alchemist. If you haven't seen the show the character is a ridiculously funny body builder. Anyways I put his filter in yesterday and he just loves it he was swimming in the little current almost like he was training or exercising. Day 2 and he's already a comedian and living up to his name. ha!

#12 ·
Help! I've been treating Armstrong's fin rot with water changes, aq salt, and stress coat. After yesterday's routine water change and tank cleaning he's been hiding upper mid tank behind the filter and his fins seem a bit more clamped though he does fan them out occasionally when he does leave his new hidey hole. I did switch his 2 plants around this time to give him something different (same plants just switched spots) could this have stressed him out that badly? Temperature acclamation should not have been a problem and I didn't change anything but the plants. Any suggestions?

#13 ·
Did you try to baffle the filter? He may be getting tired from his training in the current. Sometimes they just want to avoid and hide away when that happens. Don't change everything around too often. It may prolong his stress and make him shy. Is he eating? Do you have tannins like indian almond leaves?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.