Betta Fish Forum banner

Recommended places to shop online for supplies and decor?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 ·
I'm not satisfied with my local options...Wondering what online retailers you have had good experiences with. Currently looking for silk plants, NLS small fish food, and a small heater I can use to make water changes easier. We have a 2.5 mini bow tank so I'm looking for small decor, particularly anything like a small castle ruin or structure he could swim through/hide in.

I've been shopping around online but can't seem to hit a place I could get it all and avoid multiple shipping costs. Thanks, everyone!

#2 · (Edited)
#11 ·

Petco has great silk plants, but I honestly wouldn't buy most of the other decor in any pet stores simply because every time I feel the insides of a new decoration, there's sharp or rough edges that hurt even me, so I know they'd hurt a fish.

I would really recommend using a coffee mug or a terra cotta flower pot with the hole on the bottom enlarged, knocked out completely, or capped as safer alternatives to things to swim in.
Have the same experience. I like this company: http://www.underwatergalleries.com/Home_Page.html Everything they make is really soft.

#4 ·
Most websites periodically offer free shipping on orders over $25 or so. It's a great idea to plan out in advance what you'll get for free shipping days. I've saved hundreds this way. Same for tanks, I only buy them during Petco's dollar per gallon sale. I buy all my electronics and filtration equipment from Chinese sellers on eBay because they offer individual products at wholesale prices.

I second drsfostersmith.com, they offer some of the highest quality stuff around. No cheap stuff that breaks right away. I just bought some versa-top covers from their website for a steal compared to normal pet store prices and got free shipping.

#8 ·
I buy most of my stuff at amazon.com, most of my plants and betta's have come from aquabid.com, I do buy stuff online at petco on occasion, most of my hardscape type stuff is from walmart.

#9 ·
Petco has great silk plants, but I honestly wouldn't buy most of the other decor in any pet stores simply because every time I feel the insides of a new decoration, there's sharp or rough edges that hurt even me, so I know they'd hurt a fish.

I would really recommend using a coffee mug or a terra cotta flower pot with the hole on the bottom enlarged, knocked out completely, or capped as safer alternatives to things to swim in.

#10 ·
It seems like petco almost always has a free shipping on orders over $49 thing going on. I bought about $100 worth of stuff from them for Christmas and I loved every silk plant I got. I didn't buy much decor, nothing that I hadn't checked out at a store in person. With petco it is usually cheaper to buy from them online than at the store. Except for live fish/plants.

#12 ·
Thanks, everyone. I checked them all out but ended up ordering from petco this time since they had the majority of what we needed. Hopefully that will get us set up respectably. Fish does not like tetramin food so I ordered NLS small fish as Fish seems to like to pick around on the bottom and likes it when food is in smaller bits.

#14 ·
Amazon and ebay are good sources too. Alot of my decor came from ebay sellers in China/hong kong/taiwan. Some sellers offer free shipping but it takes like 3 weeks. sometimes you can find a seller that has a few decorations and stuff they just want to get rid of - so you can get like 5 or so things for way cheaper then retail prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.