Betta Fish Forum banner
4M views 13K replies 2K participants last post by  Smaragdina_is_best@12345 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm sure everyone would love to see the variety of betta tanks/bowls that we have, so post pics of yours here!:-D I have to find my camera, and then I'll get pics of my tanks :)

#7,648 ·
With NPTs, I never clean. this one I'm not done planting yet... so I will be getting more smaller plants for it soon, But I am really waiting for the soil to settle. I dont keep my betta in there :) but you certainly can keep a long finned one in one of these bowls. Heating is pretty easy. I use a 25w hagen elite "preset" heater. I've used it in 1/2 gallons with great success.

My gosh that is beautiful! I want them all over my house!!!
Are they easy to maintain? I want to get like 1 or 2 for my bookshelf. Most I'd do is set it up as a npt and get some cherry shrimp. My hubby believes 1 betta is enough bettas >.<

Also, I found out my neighbor has 2 bettas!!!
They are both VT, one kind of looks like ciroc but has a little more blue.

There are few downfalls though...

He has them in vases -.-
So I'm giving him my 5 gallon since I can't do anything with it
Maintianance is really up to you. I let all my tank grow as messy as they like. this particular one, I am thinking of keeping rili shrimps in (similar to cherry shrimps)

Plants are great. I have my scud and seedshrimp jar which has never had its water changed. a few stalks of naja grass keeps the water clean. Scuds and seedshrimps need pristine water to breed and survive so the plants have been doing a great job on that.

#7,650 ·
New hidy corner for the shrimpies. Need name ideas. Must be along the lines of pineball machines. Something that deals with their back n forth speedy movement.

#7,651 ·
FishyFishy where have you been! I haven't seen you post in a while! Love what you have done with Spike's tank it looks awesome love that crocodile where did you get it?

#7,652 ·
Oh karebear!!! Missed ya too!!
Spank ya! Spikes tank is like my personal live painting. I got the croc at wally world. It was sitting in a clearance bin.

#7,657 ·
Made a video of Spike's tank. I've started calling the shrimpies Thing 1 and Thing 2. They been working on the infestation I have. Sorry for any blurry moments and random sound cut outs. I kept trying to refocus and my finger would slip over the speaker. Still getting used to this phone :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4JQR0Low0

#7,660 ·
They are! They're the size of Spike's body! It sorta gives me peace of mind, he'd be less likely to make a meal outta them.

How's Benz doin? I remember that painful struggle you had with him. I think the heater busted?

#7,662 ·
how come 2 of your tanks have a gap between the dividers, and why is the other one so uneven? lol, i like your tanks, and im sure you have reason for both things, i was just curious. But beautiful tanks for sure!

#7,663 ·
I have double dividers in most of my tanks because it leaves room for the heaters and filters without taking space away from one fish, it also prevents them stressing too much as they can't see each other very well. It also helps if one happens to jump the divider, they land in the middle instead of on the other side with another fish. Some of the dividers are crooked right now because I don't use silicone to attach them, they are free standing so I can change the tanks whenever I need to. :)

#7,665 ·
A new tank for one of my rescue females, Katara.
Her water is blue because it has medication in it, and I'd rather treat the whole tank than put her in a hospital tank. I put it in for preventative and also for anything that I might have missed.. And to help her tails grow back!

The tank looks soooo empty .. I am building up my plant collection, I'm going to stock it quite a lot, and then make it into a community tank once she's better.

(You can sort of see her on the top right :p)

Sasuke on the right in one of my community tanks.. :) (All the fish randomly disappeared when this photo was taken.. hmm..)

Ponyo, one of my females, cupped in the same tank as above.

I also have the picture of Kaida's tank on here somewhere... Can't find it anyways. :)

#7,670 ·

I cleaned out my 5 gallon tank that housed my sick betta yesterday after he passed. I divided it and put my other betta, Krycek (CT) in there on the left side, and his new friend that I bought today (HMDT), who is nameless at the moment, is on the right.

I also bought a Marimo moss ball for Krycek's side, and have a piece of pothos in the other side. I might add some more pothos and some other live plants later. My light is not a plant light (small LED) so I'm not sure what can and will grow in there.

I am hoping it will be cycled soon - half of the water in the tank is from my mom's well-established, cycled tank of a few years and from Krycek's previous home. I am so excited about having a divided tank! It is so pretty too! I made the divider from plastic mesh and report binder things, it has two layers of mesh so it's not very easy for them to see each other which is nice. Both of them really seem to like their new home so hopefully they will thrive. :)

#7,671 ·
The beneficial bacteria from a cycled tank normally isn't in the water.. or if it is, it's not very much. Ideally you'll want filter media and gravel from that tank. Normally the good bacteria lives on the walls of the established tank as well as in the filter media (most bacteria is here) and in the gravel. Take some gravel from the cycled tank, and put it in a mesh bag, or panty ho and have it hanging by the filter, that will speed up your cycle. Until then, make sure to keep up with water changes to avoid an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spike.

#7,676 ·
Anyone know of any good inexpensive 5 gallon tanks? I am looking to upgrade mine a little, simply because I don't like the shape and such as much takes away a lot of space for my fish. I already have the heater and filter, simply need the tank and hood I guess.

#7,684 · (Edited)
walmart sells a 5 gallon with a lid with a light, and a filter for under 30$ after tax. not the most amazing, fuval quality deal or anything, but its what i just bought and i like it. the lid is cheapy, but i like it. feeding hole is small, but easily removable lid. or flip back if you have a wall there. plenty of air space, my betta seems to prefer going to the hole ive got the heater and filter on, but i put his leaf under the little hole for the light cord. (edit because i didnt notice you said you had a heater and filter. was telling you about a cheap heater and decorations)

my two five gallon bettas-

and

baby blue and houdini too :)

#7,680 ·
I love the dragon! It looks like it is guarding the moss ball. :p

#7,682 ·
Spike, Thing 1 and Thing 2 got a water and a bit of a scenery change today. I was under the impression that these shrimpies aren't supposed to be aggressive....Thing 1 attacked the gravel siphon o_O

#7,683 ·
Regarding the Fulvas, I *think* you can actually level an inch of open space at the top. Filling it completely just gives the tank the complete "water cube" look.