Betta Fish Forum banner

Worst of Aquabid!

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 ·
#2 ·
o.o HOW?
and why?
that seems excessive and incorrect.
though i can see how people think it's pretty.

#8 ·
I bet it is hard for them to swim.

#13 ·
#14 ·
I don't see how it's any different than making the rest of their fins so big that they can't swim well, either. It's just like fancy goldfish, really, as long as they can swim and are kept in an appropriate environment.

#15 ·
I was talking about his short body.

#16 ·
Oh, I didn't notice the body on the second one; I was looking at the fins. Still, I consider it the same as fancy goldfish. Some people think fancy goldfish are horrible mutants, so I guess it's up to the individual person. I, for example, like fancy goldfish, but I think Bubble-eyes and Celestials are kinda nasty. :p

#17 ·
My mother likes Black Moors. I like the Orandas, myself. The Bettas just look...odd, IMO.

#18 ·
The difference (as I said in the last Big Ears thread) is that a betta's primary mode of movement is their pectoral fins. Making them heavy and hard to move is going to be MUCH more detrimental than say a HM or VT caudle. Plus if a fish feels weighed down by his caudle he has the option of biting his tail (which is obviously a major problem in HM and VT fish). There is no way (to my knowledge) for a fish to trim down his pectorals.

#19 ·
Oh goodness, yes I agree with 1f2f. But I myself like celestial goldfish. :) their big eyes make them look adorable. but I also like fancy goldfish as well, but I never considered the possibility that their fins would effect their swimming since they're extremely hardy fish.
On the other hand, my betta experience tells me they are more delicate which is why I am a tad worried about this new strand.

#20 ·
Anyone who has had male and female Betta will know that females are very fast. I don't think saying he has a hard time swimming because of the big dumbo fins is cruel. Cruel would also have to be any male with long fins, so any Betta that is not the original wild type, would be cruel. All my males are slow and dart slightly fast for food, but compared to the girls who zip around like Tetra fish, it's just not fair. Though the worst of them would have to be Veil tails and rose tails.
Adding extra lengths to any fins I agree is cruel, but no freaking out please. Unless you own only wilds.
I wouldn't pay more than $20 for any Betta anyway.

#21 ·
How stark is the speed difference between males and females? The only female I've seen was a friend named Amber's betta. That girl was by her lonesome though and didn't swim much faster than little Gunther before he died. I haven't seen a sorority before but was considering starting one in December.

#23 ·
I have 4 females in a 12 gallon tank, they are very fast running from each other and to food. But they are also pretty quick just zooming around picking for food around the tank. They also bring their fins in an upright position much faster than males do. Betta swim a little then pause and their fins go up, then move forward and lay their fins down while they move.

#25 ·
Not to go off-topic too much (uh, epic fail already, haha), but I'm a big goldfish fan, if you can't tell. :) Anyway, the orandas, especially the veiltails, can be quite delicate - prone to damage and infections of the hood, prone to fin damage and therefore rot, very prone to swimbladder disorders with any kind of infection or just "because," constipation, etc. I don't even have to get into the problems of telescopes, celestials, bubble-eyes, and lionheads (celestials and lionheads don't have dorsal fins, poor things!) Of course regular goldfish are much hardier, but Comets do have a greater chance of fin damage, like long-finned bettas. And if you've seen goldfish spawn, you'll know I mean about fin damage. :p

Anyway, I thought bettas were hardier, myself, until starting to haunt betta groups recently. Now I have a much better appreciation for how much more care they need than some of the more hardy tropicals! I have some loaches in their early teens, and I've got to tell you, despite their reputation, I can hardly think of a way to kill them except remove them from water altogether, lol.

Oh, and I had a betta sorority a few years ago, and those little buggers are quick! I did find them pretty, but they weren't particularly peaceful and relaxing like I find the males. If I get a Plakat or wild-type male, though, we'll see if it's the same. o.o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.