Betta Fish Forum banner

The Lone Tadpole

888 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  TheCrysCat 
#1 ·
We're down to one tadpole :( But he's a big boy, and is sooo active.
His new digs:

Him:

And who's this??

See less See more
#3 ·
haha xD

#5 ·
African Dwarf Frog :D

#6 ·
Oh, he looks good! When did he hatch? What are you feeding him?

I miss all my ADF tads. ;-;

#7 ·
He hatched... well, we're not sure. My mom's figures that his one week birthday is tomorrow, and she found them all in the frog tank on saturday. We're currently feeding him very finely ground frog food.

#10 ·
Yeeek, that's why you're losing them! ;_; They pretty much only eat live, meaty foods for the first like half-month (or more) of their lives. I would go out and see if you can find frozen baby brine shrimp (nauplii) to keep him going until you can hatch some live... or perhaps he'll eat the frozen, but that's unlikely. They're sight predators.

I've also heard you can feed them boiled egg yolk.

#8 ·
Soooo cute! I couldn't see him at first, he was so tiny!

#9 ·
And he's way bigger than he used to be! They were soooo tiny last saturday.

#11 ·
Oh crap!!! Thanks. I mean, I saw them eating it, but...

#12 ·
They probably weren't eating enough of it...

High mortality is really common in ADF "spawns", apparently I got lucky just getting my 11 boys and girls out of one spawn... started off with at least 50 tadpoles. I fed live BBS, and really the only way I knew they were eating is their little yellow bellies. I managed to switch them over to frozen at like a month of age, and at maybe two months-ish they were managing small bloodworms. I was constantly putting some ground frog pellets in there so that they would get used to it and possibly test it out, which made transitioning from frozen to pellet much easier.

There are some really useful sites out there on how to raise them like FlippersNFins if you need more help with the little guy. :) I'll be rooting for him/her!

#13 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.