Betta Fish Forum banner

Is it completely necessary to "bob" your betta in the tank after water changes?

783 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kumi 
#1 ·
Is it completely necessary to "bob" your betta in the tank after water changes?

Hi, I was wonder if, when you do water changes, you must "bob" your betta in the new water so he/she can get used to the temperature. I have heard some people say that it is fine just to gently let him/her back in the tank. and others say otherwise. I am a complete betta noob, so I'm sorry if this question is obvious. Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, it kinda depends. are you able to get the temperature of the water the exact same as in the cup? Because that's mainly why it's done. The other reason is acclimating them to new water parameters, if you're setting up the tank for the first time, using new additives, etc. If their water was particularly dirty before (not saying that yours is, but sometimes you get a petstore guy...) you'll also want to add in some of the water.

#4 ·
If you are doing a partial water changes you don't need to remove the Betta

With 100% change- the Betta in a holding container....all you really need to do is add small amount of the like temp- new clean/dechlorinated tank water to the half full holding container with the Betta over 10min and then net the Betta and place in the like temp tank....

Water temp needs to be pretty close and you can usually equalize any chemistry changes with some water added to the holding container....if the Betta is healthy to start...small differences usually will not cause problems....

#6 ·
I have gotten amazingly accurate at matching new water to the tank water by feel, but anytime I am changing a large % of the water, I use a thermometer to check it. Its an easy way to reduce potential stress--first for the fish, then for me!

Kumi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.