Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter current Bothering my betta?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  jessp118 
#1 ·
So I have an old 10 gallon filter I'm using now with my new tank. I'm worried that its making too much current even with pre-filter sponge on and a baffle. is there any way to reduce the current more?

Video

#6 ·
I have a soda bottle baffle on it right now.

Don't don't do that unless you want to have problems with your cycle. The filter should run 24/7 except when doing a water change. If you have the plastic bottle baffle make sure its wrapped underneath the outflow.
I have two filters going right now. I just bought more carbon for my smaller one (clear intake tube). I wanted to try to kick start the cycle by using a filter that has BB on it already.

#7 ·
is that a tetra whisper filter?? i have that too. your betta does seem to be putting extra effort into swiming. mine moves abit more freely then your does but it seems yours has longer fins.

bigger decor that blocks off surface and under surface water current will be a welcomed addition to your bettas tank. i wouldnt be surprised if hanging out by big decor will become his favorite spot. plus he can rest there and then have more energy to swim to the other parts of the tank. i will upload a video of my tank for reference tonight if you are interested.

the rubberband around the outflow sounds like a good trick i will try this too.

#8 ·
Yes that is a whisper 3i on the left. He never had a problem with the current from the whisper. I have the outflow at water level. The problem filter is on the right. He seems to be getting stronger at swimming everyday. I have found that the water is calm in all the corners. I will be getting some decor Friday to put in the tank.

#9 ·
jessp118 i have a question for you. i have a 10g tank as well with my tetra whisper, do you think that the whisper alone is good enoughl to clean your tank?? mine seems to get dirty pretty fast, im thinking 10g is too much for the whisper to handle, is that why you have that extra filter??

#10 ·
You would have to have the whisper that is rated for 10g. I have two filters to kick start the BB. The whisper 3i has BB from the 3.5g. The other filter is rated for 10g and I'm transferring the BB to that one. This is also temporary so that I use all the carbon filters i have left for both filters. I plan to buy a new 10g filter with a bio wheel. If your tank is getting dirty fast, then you might need more water changes.

From what I heard, the tetra whispers are not that good at cleaning the water. They are great for circulating the water and removing toxins.

#14 ·
I would just put a sponge on tye outflow instead of the water bottle. This works for a lot of people.

#15 ·
So here is a little update. I have bought 3 large plants. I also moved the 10g filter to the other side of the tank. The current is extremely low now. He is no longer stressed by the current. But he is now stressed about the plants. He still has yet to figure out that he can swim through them. -_-

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.