Betta Fish Forum banner

blackwater extract

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  fishyinpa 
#1 ·
I was just reading online that Bettas actually come from blackwater. I asked around and alot people said bettafix is actually not good for bettas,messes with their breathing. Has anyone else heard this? I am going to the lfs a little later today,gonna return his old heater (found a reciept yay),get a new air valve and pump for the pandas lol. Maybe a different pump for Elvis,cause his is noisy as heck. I was gonna look at the blackwater extract they sell,is there any particular brand thats better than the rest? There seems to be one made for bettas,but im sure thats more expensive than a regular bottle of it. I also read its quite hard for halfmoons to regrow their fins,so alot use this to help. Any thoughts? Id appreciate it. Also if I go with that,should do a full change on his tank? Get the bettafix outta there. Thanks again!! Love ya guys. :p

#3 ·
Thanks lol.

#5 ·
hehe...yes very true...

#6 ·
Def clean the tank out...Personally I would never use Bettafix if my life depended on it...I have heard way to many bad thigs about it...I go with old fashion fixing...With 80 water, 2 gallon hospital tank, salt, and silk plants...Haha! (My Fish Hospital!!) If you want to get the water in with its natural looking betta enviroment...Go online and look up betta tea..

#7 ·
ooh...darn lfs telling me its fine. I should know by now not to listen to them lol. Okay,so ill dump his tank again,and start over. thanks.

#9 ·
Oh okay. thanks dq.

#13 ·
D: oh noes! Well, just my opinion; my fish swims around in it when I drop some in the tank. He acts similar when I put bloodworms in the tank, like it's a treat. I've been using the bettafix since I got him, and he hasn't gotten sick or anything.

#12 ·
Well i got the blackwater stuff. Three different brands,didnt know what to pick. I went with Kent brand. I see that alot on here,so I figure it cant that bad lol. I am gonna go change his water now.

#16 ·
Well all it really says is this

KENT MARINE BLACK WATER EXPERT contains natural humic and tannic acids that simulate water conditions found in the Amazon region of South America, Southeast Asia and Western Africa. Excellent for Discus, Tetras, Angelfish, Barbs, Gouramis and all other soft water fish. Encourages spawning and aids in the hatching process.

but other people said it aids in healing as well.

#17 ·
How much was it? Another way you can get tannic acid in your tank is to put a piece of driftwood in it. I was told to boil mine beforeputting it in my tank and its a good thing I did because it turned the pots water a deep brown tea color.

#18 ·
Yeah thats what the guys at the lfs mentioned. It was 4.99.

#23 ·
What I am told is that if you cant find Indian Almond Leaf,the stuff in the bottle is just as good. Yup supposed to help with spawning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.