Betta Fish Forum banner

Injured Betta??

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Okay, my oldest betta, Eco, has been acting slightly strange the past couple weeks. I don't think it's anything I did... but he swims very weird. He hovers near the surface all the time and he is semi curved in, his tail. It makes me wonder if his back is broken or something. It seems like he struggles slightly to swim. And it's hurting me to see him like this, I don't know what I can do except accept he may have to live with it... What should I do?

#2 ·
The symptom you state IMO/E can be several things from nutrition, pathogen, swim bladder......
Vit C and D lacking in the diet can cause this
Bacterial issues related to fish TB, resp infection can cause this
Fallers as a fry and deformed swim bladder
Constipation or infection in the duct
One thing I have found to work for most of these issues- adding the infant multi vit to their food and/or 1-2drop/gal, epsom salt 1tsp/gal to reduce edema and a laxative effects
Water changes and lots of them, lowering the water level and turning off the filter
Heat depending on the cause, warm up or cool down, bacteria grows best in warm water but sometimes they need the water warmer to make them more comfy and to speed metabolism
Covering the tank top with a plastic veggie wrap to warm the air and make it more humid, when they breath too cold of air they can sometimes get resp infection and/or the duct can become inflamed.
Age related issues can also be a factor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.