Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #971 
beautiful Betta

Sounds like you have it all figured out already.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #972 
LittleBettaFish

I still haven't heard anything about my coccina pair/rutilans male as the transhipper has been away at a show over the weekend I believe. Because of this, their tanks have just been sitting there sort of half-done. I think the ammonia is still going to be quite high from the aqua soil, so I am going to swap that out for peat moss temporarily, and use a small amount of aqua soil for the plants. The rest of the aqua soil can sit in a bucket with some water until it stops releasing so much ammonia.

Sad news is that my java fern in my brownorum tank succumbed to that disease/deficiency I talked about on the previous page. The bulk of it died off, but I managed to save some smaller plantlets so they are now sitting in a tub growing emersed. I also put a couple in my hendra tank, on top of the mass of watersprite so they are out of the water.

As you can see it looks very different from previous photos. At the moment I am thinking of planting an Amazon sword into a container of aqua soil and hiding it in the moss. It doesn't matter if it gets big as I want to fill up all the empty space, and they are so hardy and inexpensive. Crypts were my second choice but they can melt and I worry anubias might be infected with whatever destroyed my java fern, being a rhizome plant.

This however, did not stop my smaller male from spawning with his mother again. Now there's less cover I did find my bigger male sitting on the bottom of the tank. I'm still not really sure how he was bested as he was always the more dominant of the two.

Meanwhile this was my smaller male before the great java fern melt. I really like this fish as I've mentioned before. I just wish he had his brother's fins.

Then this is one of my F1 miniopinna out of my Hermanus pair. They were enjoying the afternoon sun lighting up their tank. I certainly will miss them when they leave for their new home.

I have been toying with selling my native group. I know I only just got them, and I do really like my rhads but they are just so shy and every time I put my face anywhere near the tank they all go and hide at the back.

I did find a fry today so they are obviously not unhappy, but they aren't even shy in the way of my wilds. I wonder if they have been talking to my rutilans green group. They probably think I am some sort of fish serial killer.

Other than that, not much has been going on. I had a dead fry in my sp. wajok/rutilans green hospital tank, but both my uberis are doing fine as are my sp. wajok pair. Still seeing big green spots on some of my sp. wajok fry. It's so strange. Going to be interesting to see how they mature and whether that spot is something that stays or goes.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #973 
LittleBettaFish

Well I shot off an email today to the transhipper and got the news my three wilds have been shipped out today and so should arrive tomorrow!

Of course I get the email after I used up all my aged water for water changes. However, I filled the bucket up again early this afternoon and the water is already very brown from the rooibos so hopefully by the time the fish arrive, the pH will have stabilised.

I have to completely do their tanks tomorrow. I know since I am not ready in the slightest for them, they will arrive early on in the day when they usually come towards the afternoon.

Otherwise, all I did today was water changes on six of my tanks, and some general maintenance.

I've been busy cleaning up the house. I have been slowly working my way through weeding the front garden over the past few days. Our downstairs rumpus room also gets really damp over the winter because it is closed off from the rest of the house and never has a heater running. So today I spent several hours scrubbing the window and window frames, dusting, vacuuming, and removing cobwebs. We have so many windows in this house, and it is quite a large house. I love how much natural light they let in, but cleaning them all is a mammoth task.

I posted about this already, but we also bred our dog Eos on the weekend. It was quite the experience. She was not very impressed with the male, and in the end we had to get AI done as he wouldn't do a natural mating. I didn't want to breed Eos, but she is my mum's dog so I don't really get a say. However, the sire is a nice young dog, so in three or so weeks we will see whether she is pregnant or not.

Meanwhile, things didn't really get better for Eos on our walk yesterday. They were doing construction on the footpath, and a lady working on the site told me Eos was a lovely male. Eos is very feminine looking and wears a pink collar so I don't know why this lady thought she was a male.

Then when I was walking Ares down our street later on that day, this dog is roaming off-leash in its front yard. I turned and ran up the street before it could see us and Ares could see it. I hope no one had their windows open as I had a few choice words to say on people who let their dogs loose. It could have been disastrous if Ares and me had run into an unsupervised dog like that. There's a reason I walk him where dogs are supposed to be leashed.

Nike also came into heat right after Eos. I can't wait to get her desexed. She makes the kitchen look like the scene of a murder. Heaven forbid she clean up after herself. She is so scrawny at the moment. She blew her coat and we haven't been exercising her as much as we should. She just is such a difficult dog to walk. I swear I need the chiropractor afterwards. Once it stops being so cold in the morning and she comes off heat I am going to start taking her again.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 09-03-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #974 
LittleBettaFish

My new wilds arrived safely today. I hurriedly put together a tank for my coccina pair this morning. I had to borrow some java moss, watersprite, and hydrilla from a couple of my other tanks, and the substrate is mostly peat moss which I wanted to avoid, but at least it was done for when they arrived.

My rutilans male is currently in a hang-on breeder box. I want to get him move into a proper tank in the next couple of days. Funnily enough, I actually like him the most. He is only very small, but immediately after arriving, he ate some mosquito larvae and is now a very bright red.

My coccina are rather disappointing at the moment. I'm hoping they settle in and colour up soon as at the moment I am not going to be taking photos of them any time soon.

Meanwhile, my Joty miniopinna male was not impressed with his new neighbours. He came out, told them off, and then went back up into his film canister to work on his nest.

This is what my smaller rack looks like now.

The bottom right tank will be housing my rutilans male (and eventually pair), while the tank on the left is for whatever species I pick up next. I'm thinking maybe a pair of wild-caught Betta livida if I can find a supplier for them.

I was considering purchasing another persephone pair sometime in the near future, but prices are exorbitantly high for them right now (think around $100). I was hoping that wild-caught Betta sp. cf. rutilans green would become available from the seller I got these newest fish from, but sadly this doesn't seem the case. There are so many different species and localities of species, that I just want to collect them all!

My sp. apiapi group are unhappy with me. I noticed the java fern in their tank was melting as well, so I had to remove it. It's been in there for almost a year, and now there's a big empty spot where it was. I am hoping the watersprite and hydrilla will grow in to fill the space. Although maybe I might plant a crypt there.

These were just so random photos I took while I was sitting near their tank trying to convince my rainbows to come out.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #975 
LittleBettaFish

I've been spring cleaning over the past few days so haven't spent much time with my fish aside from feeding and water changes.

I sold a pair of F1 hendra and all but four of my F1 miniopinna from my Hermanus group. Unfortunately, I had to completely tear apart both tanks to catch the fish. Neither group of fish are happy and the tanks are looking pathetic at the moment.

This is my hendra tank. I had to completely uproot all my lovely watersprite and because I don't have an airpump big enough to run all the tanks on this rack off, it is taking forever for the water to clear.

Fortunately, I made $110, so some will be going towards an airpump and new ammonia test kit, while I'm thinking the rest will go towards some Amazon swords and java moss.

Anything left over will obviously be going towards more wilds. Obviously.

I have a custom built starfire tank I want to sell. It was made ages ago and I used it for my macrostoma and then never really used it again. I'm hoping I can sell that for around $70-80 and I'm hoping that I might have a few more F1 hendra pairs to sell as well. Plus I have my natives that I am hoping I can get at least $40-50 for.

I found a juvenile female brownorum with her caudal eaten almost completely off. There's just a ragged looking stub. She was floating at the surface so I put her into a smaller hospital container. I did also find a third male juvenile! I was spying at the bottom of my tank looking for Disappointment, when I saw this little fellow with a green spot on his side. So depending on how he turns out, he can either be Major Disappointment or Slight Disappointment.

I am hoping to be rid of all the F1 females in that tank (except maybe this chewed up tail one). I also want to get rid of the original female. She is just too aggressive and based on the several offspring with deformities, I don't want to use her to cross onto my F1 males. So they are just going to be pets (thinking of investing in some Kritter Keeper style containers for them) and I will invest in a new breeding pair in the future.

My coccina pair continue to disappoint. Their tank is perfect for them and yet they are normally pale, stress striped, and racing up and down the glass. Only the female seems to colour up fully. They are eating and I can't see any signs of disease. It's just infuriating as I know how spectacular this species can be and I waited so long for them.

My rutilans male meanwhile is fast becoming a favourite. He is so small but very spunky and personable. He is still living in his breeder box because I didn't have any aged water to use in his tank and I need to purchase some more plants. However, he seems to like it in there, and I took this photo of him just now.

Then mum broke the news to me that I might not be able to fit two 1.5m racks downstairs because she wants a dog crate there! I'm hoping I can get at least a single 1.8m rack that is 60cm wide as then I think I could fit everyone on. We were looking at a 4ft goldfish tank, but we just won't have the space. So I'm thinking maybe a 3x2x2ft tank as this would be much bigger than what they have now, even if it is not ideal.

I've started lowering the temperature in my hospital tanks, and have a bucket of water aging to do some water changes. I am going to keep my uberis pair permanently separated and just pick up another pair later on. I just can't take the risk with subsequent fry getting infected by a latent velvet infection.

Meanwhile, my poor sp. wajok female seems to be having difficulty with her swim bladder. The male was bullying her relentlessly in the hospital tank so I have put her into a small container with some java moss and she was awkwardly chasing after mosquito larvae last night. Still got my green spotted F1. Hermanus who sold them to me, doesn't know why this has happened, and the other guy in Oz I knew who bred this species said he never had any with spots. So definitely going to see how these individuals mature.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #976 
hrutan

That rutilans male is so lovely...
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #977 
LittleBettaFish

Yes and extremely fortunate after an incident last night.

I was looking into my coccina tank and I noticed how red one of them was.

I had a closer look and realised that it was my rutilans male. Somehow he had squeezed underneath the mesh grill on the outlet of the breeder box and slid into the tank. I can't believe he did not end up on the ground as I'm not sure how long he was in the tank before I noticed.

I took the breeder box off as I think that's a sign. I got lucky once, I probably won't get so lucky again. He doesn't mind the coccina and hopefully I can get him a tank set-up on the weekend. I want to get some crypts, some Amazon swords, and steal a chunk of java moss from my persephone tank. Then I will just be waiting on his replacement female.

In other news the weather was absolutely crazy last night. There was flash flooding in the city, we got hail that was a good 1.5-2cm across, and there was a heap of thunder and lightning. I have never seen such heavy rain and large hail. I'm so thankful my dad installed another downpipe off the gutter along my clerestory window. Last big storm we had, rain was streaming down the wall behind my fish rack and going into the power points.

I'm glad none of our dogs care about thunder. I wonder how many poor dogs got out during the storm. I was keeping watch over the outside puppy behind us, and the annoying yapper next door. Annoying yapper repaid my concern by proceeding to bark from about 6:30pm to at least 10:30pm. And I'm not just talking a bark here and there, I am talking almost non-stop barking.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #978 
hrutan

Whoa. Yes, better to not risk him. If he wants to be in there he will find a way, ha.

My dog would always hide under the kitchen table in storms.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #979 
LittleBettaFish

Well my rutilans male is chasing the coccina around even though he is about half their size. He is a spitfire. I can't wait until the next shipment when his female hopefully will come. This was him enjoying some sunshine this afternoon. Such a brilliant red - very similar to the solid red of the sp. apiapi.

Been loving on my wilds today. Did water changes on all of my 'healthy' tanks, did some tank maintenance, and am going to give everyone a feed once I finish with my journal post.

My Joty miniopinna group have had some changes made to their tank. It's just a tank I threw together and haven't done much with since. It has peat moss substrate I want to slowly change over to aqua soil, and has a spawning mop I want to replace with java moss once the buyer of my Hermanus miniopinna pair comes and picks them up. My male has a small number of eggs in the film canister. I don't know why he and the female have been spawning after such a long gap. I also don't know how they gave me so many fry when they only seem to produce three eggs from each spawn.

I have to say, I love hydrilla. It is such a fast grower, it floats, it doesn't really need all that much light, and it is easy to transfer to other tanks. Now if only my frogbit would be as cooperative.

I was trying to take some photos of my sp. apiapi group. There was an empty space left in one corner of the tank when removed their java fern. I've now filled it with a film canister, IAL, some watersprite plantlets, and some hydrilla. They are happier with that, and there's been some squabbles amongst the males as to territories. One fish who did let me take their photo, was my original female. She was scolding one of her offspring. She's such a beauty, and still so small.

Unfortunately, my theme of blurry photos continued with this shot of my big persephone male showing off to a sister. He has the best form out of the whole group (I have mentioned in the past I was not happy with the toplines on these F1), but he is just so massive and his colouring is different from the other males.

Here he is here in all his glory. The blue scaling/iridescence on his sides is just not as heavy or 'sparkly' as his brothers, and his body colour is a bit paler. Strange that there can still be variation even from fish that all look the same.

I also posted about there being possible changes implemented to the import of bettas (along with cichlids and livebearers) into this country that may cause the cessation of individual imports of wild-caught wild species. This is very concerning to me.

It's coming into force March of next year. I would love if I could get pairs of persephone, livida, tussyae, brownorum, and sp. apiapi before then. Just that it's going to cost several hundred dollars in import and shipping fees, not to mention their actual purchase prices.

Reading through the document I don't know how the show circuit in Australia is going to survive considering it's only really gaining some momentum now.

I love this country, but sometimes the strict quarantine/import regulations can make you scream. Particularly when it was the Government behind things like cane toads and gambusia who cause massive environmental damage.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #980 
LittleBettaFish

My mum dragged me along to the accountant to do all my long overdue tax returns. I was afraid I would owe a whole lot of money, but I should get a little over $2000 back once the accountant's fees are taken out. If I actually do get this much back, $800 will go into my 'normal' bank account, and the rest will go into my high interest account so I don't touch it.

I also had a cheque for $55 from my first ever tax return back in 2008 that I never cashed. I just have to give the accountant my bank details later this afternoon and then wait for my return to come.

If I do get that money back I want to pick up a few more wild betta pairs (namely brownorum, sp. apiapi and possibly persephone/rutilans green if I can source them), as well as some live plants and equipment for new and existing tanks.

Other than that, I also discovered how to use the macro lens on the camera. I played around with it, but I need a heap more practice before I take anything good. These were the best two photos I managed and they are not very zoomed in. The top one is my brownorum male and the bottom one is one of my sp. apiapi males.

Of course no one would pose for me. Most of the time I got some lovely close-ups of caudal fins and moss.