Betta Fish Forum banner

Ridiculously Stubborn Fin Rot!

832 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We have had our VT Jed for about 2 months now. For about a month we have been struggling with Fin Rot which won't go away.
We noticed black edging on his fins about a month ago and immediately started treating with Aquarium Salt, Stress Coat, frequent water changes.
He improved so we stopped treatment after about 8-9 days.
Within a few days, the fin rot took a dramatic turn for the worst. He now has ragged fins, curled edges, one large black patch at the tip of his tail. I don't think the rot has reached his body although there are some large splits at the edge of his tail.
We treated with API Fungus Cure with no improvement. Switched and are currently treating with Triple Sulfa.
We have completed 2 full doses of the Triple Sulfa and his fins are showing regrowth now, although they are still curled in spots and the black patch remains.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. Used to have a snail buddy but he died.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Pellets and Freeze Dried Blood Worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets in the AM and 2-3 Blood Worms in the PM; fast him one day a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change weekly. Since medicating have been doing 25% water change every other day and 1 100% water change weekly.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat and API Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested water recently due to the frequent changes and the meds. Normally all levels are 0. We do have hard water. PH is 6.5-7

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Ragged and curled fins, black edging.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active than normal, no more bubble nests. He still is eating everything I give him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Noticed beginnings of fin rot about a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Treated with AQ salt for 8-9 days. Switched to API Fungus Cure after fin rot became somewhat severe (no improvement with Fugus Cure). Have completed 2 doses of Triple Sulfa.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only the Fin Rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure

I'm very frustrated. Should I keep treating him with the Triple Sulfa or try an alternative method? I would say his fin rot is moderate at this point. If I keep using the medswill this harm him? Should I give him a break and then continue treating?
Any other advice? Thanks very much!
I will try and post some pictures later on.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.