Betta Fish Forum banner

Blaze stopped eating

756 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

Am posting again as he has now stopped eating, Blaze my Betta has been ill since September after trying various treatments he never really seemed to recover. Throughout he continued to eat today for the first time he refused his food and is barely moving he seems to have his head right near the surface as though hes having trouble breathing (have checked ammonia and Nitrite which are both 0 and Nitrate at 10) Did a water change a day ago. Think i am losing him, hes never seemed to recover from whatever he had previously. Will try to post a recent pic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·

What size is your tank? 3l
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? nls pellets/brine shrimp/
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x week at the moment
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 250
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? loss colour/ fins shorter
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic dooes not swim around as before
When did you start noticing the symptoms? started 3months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? treated with some meds before just done salt treatment last week
Does your fish have any history of being ill? as above
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1yr 1/2

AdministratorView Public ProfileSend a private message to AdministratorFind More Posts by AdministratorAdd Administrator to Your Contacts

#3 ·
Firstly in a tank that size he should be getting water changes at least every other day with a full 100% water change where you take everything out and rinse it once a week. Have you tried treating him with any meds?

He's skinny, pale and in the picture his head appears to be slightly swollen, all of this points to a possible internal bacterial infection IMHO. Lower the water temperature to around 76, bacterial infections thrive in higher temperatures. And begin treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I recommend using either a mix of maracyn 1 and 2 or using tetracycline.

#4 ·
Firstly in a tank that size he should be getting water changes at least every other day with a full 100% water change where you take everything out and rinse it once a week. Have you tried treating him with any meds?

He's skinny, pale and in the picture his head appears to be slightly swollen, all of this points to a possible internal bacterial infection IMHO. Lower the water temperature to around 76, bacterial infections thrive in higher temperatures. And begin treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I recommend using either a mix of maracyn 1 and 2 or using tetracycline.
Hes in a 3Gallon filtered tank which is cycled so i do 2 water changes a week have used API General cure and jungle fizz tabs none of which seemed to work have also had him on a couple of AQ salt treatments. These treatments seemed to make him worse if anything

#5 ·
A 3gallon, it said 3l so I thought it was 3 liters. Those treatments aren't strong enough honestly, you need to start a round of a good quality full spectrum antibiotic.

#6 ·
It looks like water quality is not an issue but for fin rot you need to be treating with either salt or antibiotics. Throwing random med cocktails in there like that will make it worse.. it could kill him.

Looks for Kanaplex by Seachem, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2. Make sure to mix up a full dose and then use just the right for a 3g. Kanaplex will not hurt the cycle. The other two will probably crash it.

#8 ·
It looks like water quality is not an issue but for fin rot you need to be treating with either salt or antibiotics. Throwing random med cocktails in there like that will make it worse.. it could kill him.

Looks for Kanaplex by Seachem, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2. Make sure to mix up a full dose and then use just the right for a 3g. Kanaplex will not hurt the cycle. The other two will probably crash it.

Just recently finished a salt treatment but he now seems to be getting worse and not eating, its difficult for me to get meds as they do not have them where i am i live in the UK and have had to order what meds i have online

#9 · (Edited)
If salt isn't working and you can't find meds locally there's not much option but to order online.. It might be a good idea in the future to keep certain meds on hand if it's difficult and lengthy to get them.

Btw do you know what his poo looks like and are those brine shrimp live, frozen or freeze dried? Also how many of those a week do you give, is he being fasted one day a week and how many NLS a day?

#10 ·
If salt isn't working and you can't find meds locally there's not much option but to order online.. It might be a good idea in the future to keep certain meds on hand if it's difficult and lengthy to get them.

Btw do you know what his poo looks like and are those brine shrimp live, frozen or freeze dried? Also how many of those a week do you give, is he being fasted one day a week and how many NLS a day?
Saw him poo yesterday its normal i get fresh brine shrimp in the packet normally feed it twice a week, 6 pellets as they're pretty small 3 in mornin /3 evenin and fast on a sunday. Tried soaking some in garlic juice yesterday and he did eat them but i had to put them right in front of him, tried it again today but he wasnt interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.