Betta Fish Forum banner

little female betta isn't doing well

488 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ScuitoAmi150 
#1 ·
Long story short, the filter in my 2.5g tank for my female betta completely stopped working. The film that my water gets if the filter stops working came back causing my female betta not to eat. I've been looking everywhere for a filter small enough but no one local has had them & I've had issues ordering one.

Anyway, Duff stopped eating for probably the past week, maybe a little more if she's been spitting food out. I found her last night thinking she was dead. She wasn't. I've put her in a little petco betta cup so she doesn't have to do much swimming to get air. She's looking very weak & even when I drop food in she won't eat it. She just kind of floats. Looks as though she got some ick on her back also. I feel horrible and just want her to feel better. If she does recover I'm going to divide my male's tank so they'll share and she'll get a 5g. I've put two granules of aquarium salt in the little cup but don't dare to put anything else.

Any ideas on how to get her to eat?

#2 ·
When you add salt, measure with a teaspoon & dissolve in water.

The stuff on the surface should be protein film & a sign you're probably not doing enough water changes.

Get one of these.... All you need is an cheap $2 air pump to operate it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Bi...159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563915a3f

There's got to be something else going on for her not to eat.

I have 1 betta in a little floating tank that's completely covered in a thick layer of duckweed. She has no problem going to the surface or eating 10 mini pellets in 10 seconds if I offered her that much.

• Is your tank heated?
  • To rid yourself of ick the NATURAL way, you need to salt the water & increase the temperature in the tank to at least 82F, but I recommend 86F.

If you have time, post a clear picture of the little one & fill out the sick fish questionnaire.

#3 ·
For a tank that small I also like sponge filters.

More info would be helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Just want to make sure we're not missing anything.

I also agree there's likely a water quality issue. To treat this I would treat in the tank for ick using heat and aquarium salt. It's outlined here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332 Along with the treatment comes 100% water changes and that will resolve the water quality problem.

#5 · (Edited)
She has two white spots on her back.
I don't think she'll make it through the day, she isn't swimming just laying at the bottom of the tank. I put the betta cup that she's in floating in my 5g and plugged the heater in on that so hopefully that'll help warm her up. I'm running between jobs and have no time to do a water change on her tank,that's how it's been for the past week sadly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.