Betta Fish Forum banner

Fights and Fin Blowouts

401 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  babystarz 
#1 ·
Just recently my vail tail Vincent has noticed his reflection on the aquarium walls and is now trying to fight himself. This would not concern me if he was not blowing out his fins so much. Is there any trick to get him to stop trying to fight himself?

Housing
What size is your tank? He is the king of his 3-gallon tank.
What temperature is your tank? Normally 76-78 at any given time.
Does your tank have a filter? No (I am looking for a sponge filter)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? There is a hole used for "feeding" and about an inch of space for air between the hood of his tank and the water.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Floating Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day with 2-3 Pellets
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Almost every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, than a 20%, then a 50%, then repeat.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe water conditioner.
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has had multiple tail blowouts but is showing new growth.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He clamps his fins a bit near the blowout.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Early this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a 100% change and added 3 tsp. of Jungle Aquarium Salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fin blowouts, Fin nipping, and Fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around a year and three months.

See less See more
#2 ·
Subscribed and bump!!
(i have a male VT that blows his fins out quite often too. I moved him into a bowl and he doesnt seem to get them that often anymore, i think it has something to do with his reflection being distorted, but it still hasnt helped completely.)

#4 ·
Your best option is to stop him from seeing his reflection. This is usually possible through a combination of putting an opaque surface up against the outside of a tank, putting plants against the tank walls inside, and keeping lights off as much as possible. If none of these things helps, you may need to look into a different container that is not made of reflective materials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.