Betta Fish Forum banner

Drax's Tank is on Quarantine Infestation has Occurred!

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  tsoto80 
#1 ·
(WARNING WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS VERY FRANTIC: I'm ok really don't start wondering if Drax's owner is completely insane, I'm just being REALLY REALLY Dramatic >,> to sorta make it entertaining and... well because it attracts attention)...

Before I completely loose my *Censored* Mind...

Allow me to walk you through the events as they unfolded...

5 Days Ago: I noticed small little white dots appearing ALL over the Anacharis plants... of course trying to be rational since I've done nothing but cry wolf lately I decided it was probably just bubbles.

4 Days Ago: The white dots ... were not bubbles they were sorta milky colored with I SWEAR a blueish tint, The Anacharis plants are now wilting and are being covered by VERY VERY fine filiments that seem to be helping ANCHOR the white dots to the plant as they seem to not sit on the plant... but just effortlessly float around the plant a few milimeters away motionless.

3 Days Ago: I began to notice that the tiny bubbles the filter shoots out every now and then were starting to randomly cling to the glass, and the white dots where now start detaching from the Anacharis plants and start free floating around... I still kept thinking "No... nope... nope I'm JUST seeing things..."

2 Days Ago: Performed a 100% water change to try and get rid of the white dots that ... now realizing it wasn't bubbles attaching to the glass... BUT THE WHITE DOTS! I thought I had gotten rid of all of them... tank was filled with regular bubbles as well clinging to the side... I thought I had solved the problem...

1 Day Ago: I hadn't slept after finding out I didn't pass AP1 (Advanced Problem Solving in Graphic Design 1, already passed Graphic Design 1-4, so this was the 5th glass next was to be AP2 then Senior Seminar and Graduate! Somehow *Ooh... getting sick again thinking about it* I got a D... I thought I was guaranteed a B! Now I have to retake AP1 and all of my classmates whom I'm friends with and been with since GD1 at my University are moving on and leaving me behind... it's not the end of the world, just it hurts because I was really trying my best...) Thats when I did one last look before I went in the basement to just Read... Was tired... but I swear I saw one of the dots idling along the glass ever so slowly. I just assumed I was seeing things again... My medications are not too friendly when you don't sleep... you see stuff... Shadow figures... etc etc.

Infestation: Their are several of these little white things clinging to the glass and they are noticeably ... well... it's so hard to... *Tries to focus* Um... hang on...

IS THERE NOT A *CENSORED* STUPID *CENSORED* MAGNIFYING GLASS IN THIS HOUSE! ............... anyway from what I can tell they ... Just... look like little white oval (I think their oval-ish) and seem to be extending out their own little filiment (Same thing as what was holding them to the Anacharis plants) and they seem to be sticking it out... then pulling it back in... like little creepy tongues...

The worst part is... Drax seems oblivious to them! Dozens will float past his face (They don't seem to be bothering him though... but then again they didn't stick to the glass at first...) Ok not dozens... maybe a few will float past. But I thought I had gotten rid of them all when I did a cleaning!

I have no idea what to do... I mean it's pointless now to remove the Anarcharis (Only a few left on them now) and it IS starting to improve since I moved it into more light... So I'd hate to hurt it...

*Ahems* I have given you as much information I as I possibly can... I feel as if I gave proper detailing of how the foreign bodies arrived and how they Infested...

Just tried cleaning his tank again and now there are more of them around! UGH! His water is pristine! His temp is at 80F (He likes it warm, otherwise he just hovers around the heater)
10gal tank,
Almost Cycled
Not Substrated...
Few Anachari's and a Java Fern as well as the Submerged Vine.

Drax.... seems unaffected... in fact (Feeding him his dinner now)

*CHOMP*
Oww....

Ok not going on a Tangent now! ... WHAT ARE THESE THINGS and now I've tried photographing... pointless they just blend in with the other random bubbles... (Small bubbles the filter spits out now and again... the white things are like... way smaller than a Betta Bubble nest Bubble...)

*Posts*

I swear if these end up being Beneficial... I'm going to cry... I've been panicking all day trying to clean them out of the tank... *Cries* 4 hours of cleaning...*Twitch* no sleep... (Meds make me OCD about cleanliness so instead of simply rinsing things off... I scrub for several minutes each thing) then spent 2 hours using the gravel vac to keep catching the Anacharis leaves that kept breaking off from me hitting it... (If I take it out... it will probably shed half it's leaves and I'd Scream bloody murder after just cleaning the tank for so long)

Havent had a good few days...
Bad news is unacceptable...

If the Anarcharis is to blame and was a Transporter from infested plants at PetSmart... *Smiles* Watch the news for a shooting HAHAHAHAH (I'm kidding, I'd just file a complaint... and ANGRY one)

Even after all this freak out it would STILL be nice if they were good... hehe... heh... hehehehehehehe maybe their making the tank even cleaner (I may pass out after I finish typing this... so tired)

(I'm ok really don't start wondering if Drax's owner is completely insane, I'm just being REALLY REALLY Dramatic >,> to sorta make it entertaining and... well because it attracts attention)...

PLEASE HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Um... *Rereads post after calming down completely*

Wow you all must think I'm a basket case now... too late to edit it *Biting nails* Please don't attack it for it's insanity um *Cough*
Yeah so the little white things... *Blushes* Did NOT think that post would be as Dramatic as it ended up being...

#4 ·
Are you sure they are not snails......little bitty baby snails that came in on the plants....and.... don't cry.....they can be a good thing if kept under control....if Drax is fine and otherwise acting his normal self......take a deep breath...smile.....and take a nap....you crack me up...laffs....not laughing at you.....but you are pretty funny......

I do enjoy your post.......

#16 ·
*Rubbing eyes* Oooohh... I can't focus well now from all that... Focusing...

They must have been eggs of some type... the 'Tongues' I saw were just the remainders of the filaments that had anchored them to the Anacharis (Thats what I'm assuming) They... didn't seem to be moving but I swear they were earlier! Honest! Now they just looked like shredded white... *Starts putting it together* The floating dots are indeed oval... the ones stuck to the side or onces I observed looked mishapen as if whatever was in them... is already in the water somewhere *Shudders* They may have been hatching earlier when I thought they were moving... I just... don't SEE anything though... Cept... Drax, and the dots, and bubbles... and every so often the Anacharis sending off a few more dots... I did see one odd thing on the surface but when I opened the Hood to scoop it out with the Vase... My Submerged vine moved and changed the flow from the filter and the thing had vanished...

Now I almost don't want to removed them I'm more curious than ever... Why? Drax... he just sat at the top looking at me... then at the Surface pretty much going. "Um... Gonna Feed me? Your just sittin there... so... maybe a few pellets... if yaaaaa get a chance there?" I gave him 4 earlier (When he nipped me) before he stopped begging, MAN he's a pig, don't yell he's just a big eater I guess... don't worry didn't give him more... he's WAY done eating... ok now that my eyes have refocused I'm going to research...

#19 ·
*Starts Starring you down* ['O','o']

None of you have suggested anything horrid so... maybe err... it's nothing to worry about?
Drax is still oblivious nothing is attached to him (Even looked him over with the Magnifying glass when he was begging again)
NO DRAX You've already had like twice the food your supposed to have! PLUS YOU BIT ME!

#18 ·
You have GOT to calm down! I'd say they sound like planaria? Google them and compare. Also google copepods.

Neither planaria or copepods are cause for huge concern, really. They just mean you had extra gunk in your substrate. Just continue to vacuum daily for a couple days and hopefully they clear up. IF that's what they are. If Drax is fine, take his example and chill! :p

#20 ·
I'm chill... *Twitch*

I don't even have a substrate! Hahaha It came from the Anacharis so maybe PetSmart is to blame? It was just a bunch pulled from a big tank of them... The Java Fern (Sold in a tube thing) and my Vine are Dot free...

#21 ·
Yes, they could have hitchhiked on the plants. They're not a bad thing so don't worry about blame! I used to have them in Whiskey's tank and I vacuumed every week like clockwork. Maybe Drax will make a snack out of them eventually. Just google images and compare and please switch to Sleepytime or Chamomile tea! :p

You know, I once medicated Whiskey with maracyn for two whole weeks because I was convinced his color change was septicemia. We all panic at first. It's so normal.

#22 ·
Um...
*After having slept for nearly a day*

Problem Solved Itself? *Looking all over tank*

I did extensive research on what could have been the Infestation but there was very little info, I WAS VERY pleased to find out it COULDN'T have possibly been ICK. Since ICK in it's Cyst state CANNOT be visible to the naked eye.

I didn't find anything telling me what it was but I did find someone who had posted on another site and had posted... Illustrations of what the things looked like and he had it spot on! The person (An Expert on weird hitchhikers such as stuff that grows on Live Rocks you can get for tanks) answered saying that it's nothing to worry about and that he should just observe and watch what happens.

What Happened?

As far as I can tell... nothing... There are less white dots now and the Anacharis seems to be FINALLY perking up. I plan to post pics today... then do a water change... I want to take pics before because after a water change Drax flares at me and seems to just want to be alone, kinda like most people after a long car trip haha.

Solution?
I think it's because I superheated the water (82F) Don't YELL! Drax seems to like it this temp! At around 78F he always stays over by the heater anyway... I think the warm water may have killed whatever the things were making them drop off the Anacharis and the glass.
I'll change the temp back to 80F after the things have totally vanished. Even if you think it's too warm... whatever Drax likes it warmer.

#23 ·
I been having a problem with lil white....speks in my 20 gallon tank and did some research and most people were saying it is dust, snails, worms, microrganisms, or uneaten food. My speks do not stick to the plants or glass so no clue to what I have but I hope you can get some relief. Here is a site of the lovely tiny bugs.
http://www.microcosmos.nl/vlooigal.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.