Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs

220K views 593 replies 187 participants last post by  End Balkanization WLM 
#1 ·
I wish to spread awareness about a disease that has struck several times in the recent months. It moves very, very, very fast, often killing within 12-24 hours. Nothing is known about this disease except that it is a bacterial disease that causes rapid and acute tissue necropsy and that it seems to strike blue bettas in particular. Several people are working on identifying this disease, including veterinary student DarkMoon17, but WE NEED YOUR HELP.

If you have a betta who develops the following symptoms or dies, please DO NOT DISPOSE OF THE BODY. It is very important that we have a body to send in for a necropsy. Several people have volunteered to take the bodies to local universities or veterinary clinics near them. All we need you to do is save the body and contact DarkMoon17 or me immediately.

The symptoms of this disease are:

* graphite gray or near black tissue necropsy that spreads from the bottom of the fins upward to the body within hours
* sudden loss of mobility as the swim bladder is affected
* death or conditions so severe that they require euthanasia within 12-24 hours, occasionally as long as 36 hours

The betta will look something like this:
Blue Feather Organism Fish Tail

There have been speculations about what it is, including suggestions that it is an acute strain of columnaris, but NOTHING IS KNOWN FOR CERTAIN. PLEASE DO NOT post speculations about what this disease may be unless you have been able to identify the disease through lab work. Such speculations only cause aggressive debate.

Any and all cooperation is much appreciated as we work to identify this disease so we can figure out a way to combat it. Thank you very much.

See less See more
#52 ·
Columnaris? Yikes! Do you think that is what he has? I hate that bacterial disease. It's a real pain!

#53 ·
Well today he has all his color back on one side!!! :) :) :) The other side is a bit pale, but he look so much better!! He swam up when I walked beside him, instead up having to back a screeching noise on the glass to get him up :) And then later I he was swimming and I wasn't there!!! :) So happy!! Ill keep an I on him to back sure he doesnt get worse :) Im so happy!! And Bubbles seems to like that her boyfreind is back too LOL.

#55 · (Edited)
Swish looks like his scales are sticking out ever so slightly. I hope he gets better. That happened to him once before, and I had no clue what it was and I left it as it was (2 years ago, first betta, you get the picture).
Ill change the wter today, then monday, then we leave for a week.

#63 ·
Oh thank God. Thank you :D i was so bummed, i only had one plate of spagetti and thats not normal for me, i was so scared he was dying :D :D okay, he has a hole in one of his 'dangly' fins, but i did a 100% water change in the 10 gallon, just like monday! and i add salt to their water occasionally... would you know what its from

#64 ·
Some wear and tear on the fins is normal. Those long fins of theirs are also very fragile and prone to some rips every now and then. My HM always has tears. Just watch and make sure the hole doesn't develop a black ring or that his fin doesn't rot off overnight. Otherwise, he should be A-OK. :)

And :lol: about the spaghetti. You MUST have been pretty worried. :)

#73 ·
yeah i noticed that, but from the top of him, hes fine.... im not sure what was wrong, but the grey has gone away also, quite a bit of it anyways...

#74 ·
Where to send fish for necropsy?

I wish to spread awareness about a disease that has struck several times in the recent months. It moves very, very, very fast, often killing within 12-24 hours. Nothing is known about this disease except that it is a bacterial disease that causes rapid and acute tissue necropsy and that it seems to strike blue bettas in particular. Several people are working on identifying this disease, including veterinary student DarkMoon17, but WE NEED YOUR HELP.

If you have a betta who develops the following symptoms or dies, please DO NOT DISPOSE OF THE BODY. It is very important that we have a body to send in for a necropsy. Several people have volunteered to take the bodies to local universities or veterinary clinics near them. All we need you to do is save the body and contact DarkMoon17 or me immediately.

The symptoms of this disease are:

* graphite gray or near black tissue necropsy that spreads from the bottom of the fins upward to the body within hours
* sudden loss of mobility as the swim bladder is affected
* death or conditions so severe that they require euthanasia within 12-24 hours, occasionally as long as 36 hours

The betta will look something like this:
View attachment 45260

There have been speculations about what it is, including suggestions that it is an acute strain of columnaris, but NOTHING IS KNOWN FOR CERTAIN. PLEASE DO NOT post speculations about what this disease may be unless you have been able to identify the disease through lab work. Such speculations only cause aggressive debate.

Any and all cooperation is much appreciated as we work to identify this disease so we can figure out a way to combat it. Thank you very much.
I want to send him, he was a blue betta, please reply asasp! So I can help.

#75 ·
Hi Black008, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your betta died of this disease. If you would like to help, you can send him to me. PM me for details. Shipping costs can be reimbursed if you have Paypal. In the meantime, if you can, try to get a hold of some formaldehyde to preserve him. A local veterinary clinic should have some and if you explain what it is for, they should hopefully give you enough to preserve him in a small specimen jar.

#76 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here but I would like to suggest something. Those of you who have lost a betta, my condolences. I think it would help greatly if the victims would post as much detail as what the environment of the betta was like at time of death. List where you got it from, test the water at the local pet store, any plants, decorations and the type of gravel, and lastly a list of products that was used before and after the disease. I think this we MAY find some sort of correlation as to what iscausing this problem.

#77 ·
this is not good..i constantly watch my bettas for any changes.luckily i have not seen anything like this..really hope we can hurry and come up with a cure and more info about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.