Betta Fish Forum banner

Myxazin and Epsom Salts

793 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  scoobiemandan 
#1 ·
Hi, new member with an issue that requires some input from some experienced keepers.

I have had our Betta for a few months now and have successfully kept Betta before without any issues.

I did a 50% water change (Saturday) as per my regular regime and added a half dose of Tropica Premium Fertiliser (Java Fern in tank). On Monday he started acting out of character, he wasn't swimming about as he usually would and generally acting lethargic but still eating. This got worse and yesterday he was staying at the bottom of the tank, coming up for air sporadically then floated back down and rested where landed.

I decided to try and aid him by putting him in a breeding net cube as he was having some problems getting all the way up to breath.

Today he was the same but I've now noticed that he's started to pine cone :(

I'm confused as to what's brought this on as his water is kept pristine, he's on his own, there has been no change to usual routine, no chemicals etc have been used in the room or indeed close to the room.

He's housed in a 19 litre Fluval Chi.
- ammonia 0ppm
- nitrite 0ppm
- nitrate <20ppm
- 28ºC

Feeding him a mixture of JBL Betta Flake, blood worm (frozen), brine shrimp (frozen). For the last week he had been fed only on flake as I ran out of the frozen. I did notice there appeared to be no fish waste in the tank when I changed the water so at first assumed he was constipated, then I started thinking this could have caused a swim bladder problem. However, now he's started to pine cone I'm more concerned.

I've, today, started a course of Myxazin (it's what I have in) but was wondering whether I could add some Epsom Salts also.

Any help gratefully received :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Chester! All too sudden to have done anything in this instance as the pine coning literally appeared within the space of a couple of hours as he'd been checked just prior. One thing I always keep an eye out for in my livestock is any sign of scales starting to raise!

This isn't the first fish I've lost 'suddenly' although in this scenario he was not himself for a couple of days previous. The others seem to die of 'unknown' causes with no outward signs of anything untoward.

Certainly not a water quality issue for either case of fish that I've lost as I'm what you would call anal about keeping their habitat pristine for them!

I've decided against keeping Betta for the time being as he's the third we've lost in as many years (one we kept successfully for around three years). I know it's nothing that I'm doing (or not doing) but cannot pinpoint what or where the cause lies for these losses. Maybe I'm just unlucky :-?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.