Betta Fish Forum banner

Can't bond with a few of my bettas

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Romad 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I mostly just like to read and I love all of the beautiful fish I am seeing pictures of! Myself, I have many tanks, some with guppies and others with bettas. I currently have 9 bettas and they are all properly housed in heated tank space of at least 2.5 gallon.

I am very attached to 6 of my boys, but I have to admit there are 3 that I just don't have the same bond with. I keep thinking in the back of my mind how I can give them away to someone to get another betta in their tank space that I can feel the same bond with. Pretty selfish, isn't it?

Anyone else just missing that "feeling" with some of their betta fish?

#2 ·
i know how you feel i used to never be able to have that with any of my fish. but he or she is probably just really bored in that spot. you dont have to get rid of it. i think you should just move it to a different location that gets a lot of eyes and he or she can have some more eyes and try putting new and fun items in the tank that will he/she can explore.

#3 ·
yeah Volos is like that.
Me and him just don't make the fish to Mama connection.
All of the others have ran away with my heart...
I consider giving Volos away, but he is cute
he is a tiny blue CT...
gah >.< I don't know how I can't fall in love with him, he is beautiful...
but I know what you mean...

#4 ·
I've never had a problem with Bettas and bonding. All of my fish have been friendly and puppy-like, taking to me right away (they all chose me, hehehe...) except Peanut, who i got from a breeder, but he likes me anyway lol.
Patience is all it takes... and maybe some freeze-dried bloodworms. ;)

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I guess these fish are the least responsive to me and seem kind of ordinary. I keep thinking of the valuable real estate they are taking up in my tanks and I could probably replace them with an awsome new fish. I know, bad thoughts!

#6 ·
I had a betta I thought like that, once, but I've grown to love him as much as the others. Sometimes it just takes a bit of TLC to grow that bond. Try moving the tanks around, so you see the ones you don't have that bond with more. Bettas flourish under attention xD

#7 ·
Maybe stick them by your computer where you can look eye to eye with each other. You might notice they'll be inquistive about you. I keep any new fish I have in a quarentine tank right beside my computer where I'll sit for an hour or two each day, I also drink my morning coffee here so we bond.

#8 ·
I noticed that when I used to go to betta hunting, I'd pick the ones with the prettiest tails. I never actually felt that "bond" everyone on here was feeling... they were just... there ;[

But then after all my bettas passed on, I went to Petco and saw a yellow betta with the most adorable face! Instead of long, flowing, beautiful fins, I realized how big of a sucker I am for a cute face :) I've been so attached to him.. it's amazing!

#9 ·
I have my favorites too but i still feel responsible for the care of all of them. So I still treat them all equally and give everyone the best care that I can. Some just get more face time than others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.