Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #2241 
Kaxen

Ooooh the divided 20 long is really nice!
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #2242 
ao

Planted Tank Show and Tell!!

showing off my 4 gallon again, it's been the most beautiful night light for over two years and I'm quite proud that it lasted as long as it did! It hasn't changed much as all, It's gone wild and has been tamed and is now wild again.

If anyone knows a good way to thin out hair grass, please let me know, i've tried trimming it once, and that didn't work out well, the trimmed blades simply turned yellow and died, and the carpet looked half dead for a couple of months... If I pull at it, a whole string of hair-grass comes away and I lose the carpet in chunks :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #2243 
hellobird

I think people remove the hairgrass in chunks, and then spread/replant.

Your tank looks lovely though, something out of a fairytale!
hellobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #2244 
VeeDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao View Post
showing off my 4 gallon again, it's been the most beautiful night light for over two years and I'm quite proud that it lasted as long as it did! It hasn't changed much as all, It's gone wild and has been tamed and is now wild again.

If anyone knows a good way to thin out hair grass, please let me know, i've tried trimming it once, and that didn't work out well, the trimmed blades simply turned yellow and died, and the carpet looked half dead for a couple of months... If I pull at it, a whole string of hair-grass comes away and I lose the carpet in chunks :(

Beautiful setup, really like the wood selection. What's the setup?
VeeDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #2245 
ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellobird View Post
I think people remove the hairgrass in chunks, and then spread/replant.

Your tank looks lovely though, something out of a fairytale!

Ugh, that mulm is going to kick up like no body's business! I might try that for a smaller area and see if the dhg takes hold okay, they have really long roots and I've had trouble replanting uprooted dhg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubs View Post
Beautiful setup, really like the wood selection. What's the setup?

Thank you :)
It's a 4 gallon with a dhg "belem" carpet
some marsilea minuta
There's a stunted crypt petchii under the wood, and at the back is a small parch of ludwigia arcuata.

On the wood there is... Peacock moss, susswassertang, Christmas moss and fissidense. I didn't plant them all there, this was an old piece of wood from someone else's tank and they just happened to come back to life after this tank got set up and running. I tried to get rid of the peacock moss by yanking it off from the wood and almost yanked the entire wood out of the tank o_O There's also some anubias sitting at the top growing emersed. I have red root floaters drifting at the water surface.

The inhabitants are currently a lonely pygmy cory, whose family mysteriously died after a water change I did :( an amano shrimp and my horned nerite.

i also have a school of endlers frys as temporary inhabitants until they grow up and can be given away...

Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #2246 
Sadist

Oh, I love that! I would just leave it wild, but I love the wild look. I even like the hitchhiking moss; it makes the wood look like a tree there.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #2247 
Julie7778

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao View Post
Ugh, that mulm is going to kick up like no body's business! I might try that for a smaller area and see if the dhg takes hold okay, they have really long roots and I've had trouble replanting uprooted dhg

Thank you :)
It's a 4 gallon with a dhg "belem" carpet
some marsilea minuta
There's a stunted crypt petchii under the wood, and at the back is a small parch of ludwigia arcuata.

On the wood there is... Peacock moss, susswassertang, Christmas moss and fissidense. I didn't plant them all there, this was an old piece of wood from someone else's tank and they just happened to come back to life after this tank got set up and running. I tried to get rid of the peacock moss by yanking it off from the wood and almost yanked the entire wood out of the tank o_O There's also some anubias sitting at the top growing emersed. I have red root floaters drifting at the water surface.

The inhabitants are currently a lonely pygmy cory, whose family mysteriously died after a water change I did :( an amano shrimp and my horned nerite.

i also have a school of endlers frys as temporary inhabitants until they grow up and can be given away...

I love the carpet!

Do you have CO2 or do you dose? Also which light do you have!
Julie7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #2248 
ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
I love the carpet!

Do you have CO2 or do you dose? Also which light do you have!

I don't have CO2 and I dont dose anything, there's a tonne of mulm build up on the substrate though! Dwarf hairgrass is surprisingly easy to grow once it settles in and receives some good lighting. I'm using a Led panel from ebay, it cost me about $30 and is the only light I've ever had above this tank :)

it's this light here:
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/371460477146

Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #2249 
Mashiro

Just waiting for everything to grow in.

Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #2250 
Mashiro

Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags