Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta acting strangely, how to fix

515 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  chyeahxtello 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have slowed down my filter to accommodate my betta's dislike of strong currents, however he still seems to only swim along the back of the aqaurium glass back and forward. The only conclusions I can come up with that might be causing his constant swimming and possible discomfort is the lighting or the flow. I have two different types of bulbs in my aquarium, a florescent and an incandescent. the florescent gives off low heat while the other gives off high heat.

The filter I have is the auquatech 5-15 that comes with the standard 10 gal set up. I have it filled all the way up so that the flow is minimal but the surface is still slightly affected.

now the reason I feel that my betta is acting strangely is because he is very curious and loves to swim through all of his plants and hidey holes. He even interacts with the other fish in the tank.

My ph is in the mid 7
my amonia levels will be inaccurate if I test them because I used prime last night during a 75% water change. the temperature is around 81 degrees. the tank is also in the tail end of a cycle.

any help or info will be appreciated!

thank you

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi chyeahxtello some floating live plants might help if your Betta doesnt like the lights, my guy was like that and when I put in some floating plants he didnt seem to be bothered by the lights anymore. How is he doing, is he eating well ?

How often are you checking the levels of your tank and since its on the tail end of the cycle I would keep a close on the levels and test it everyday. I am not sure about if reducing the water flow would affect your other fish or not, maybe some of the other members would know.

#4 ·
Thank you for replying,

I added a new plant that has broad leaves and floats at the top, however he is still pacing against the wall. He still eats good and hasn't got clamped fin or anything. Its so confusing..... I only have ammonia and nitrite test kits but I suspect my nitrite might not work since I got it on overstock sale :/ Ill test again today and see if any thing is off the charts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.