Betta Fish Forum banner

Split tank idea

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  zelilaa 
#1 ·
Ok so would this work?

Can I get a 5.5 gallon tank, cut plexiglass and drill holes in it and then caulk it to the center of the tank making a divider? Then I would have one male betta on each side with fake plants and a hide as well as 1 25 watt heater

They will always be able to see eachother is that ok?

#3 ·
Everyone has mixed reviews on the split tank idea. I find the best divider is to take the ones you buy at the store (you could buy a 10 gallon one and cut it down to size) and then use the plastic canvas you use for needlepoint/cross stitching instead of the clear plastic. It creates a better sight barrier.
I used that an a peace of frosted plexiglass with holes drilled in it and my two males are fine together. They've never flared at each other but maybe once or twice. The one is very calm and prefers stalking snails. The other suffers from Crazy Crowntail Syndrome, goes down to the corner where the water flow is the strongest and flares and moves back and forth rapidly on a daily basis. :)
I'm trying out my 2 other males, my halfmoon and veiltail who both have much stronger personalities than the other two with just black plastic mesh divider. I can let you know how they do tomorrow or Friday. :) With divided tanks you need to make sure there is no way for them to be able to jump over to the other side or you will have some severely damaged fins.
Make sure you use only aquarium sealant and follow its directions. Also if you use plexiglass make sure the hole are too small for a betta head to fit in it and get stuck but plenty enough of them to allow good water flow unless you plan on having two filters and heaters.
Make sure that if they don't work out you still have the space to house both of them separate. I have 3 spares 2.5's and 1 1.5 if ever I need to isolate my betta's again.
This all my personal opinion, I'm sure someone else will come along and add something else. :)

#5 ·
Im going to get the 5.5 and use it for just one betta fish for right now and maybe one he is nice and adjusted I will get another male betta for it and a filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.