Betta Fish Forum banner

please tell me, what do you see in here!

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  PinkDiamond 
#1 ·
my betta did jump out of his bowl container wen i was doing a water chage to the 10 gallon tank. today is the second day after the insident, and i noticed this: Blue Water Aqua Purple Light

Blue Marine biology Water Organism Electric blue

Blue Fish Fish Marine biology Majorelle blue

Fish Fin Marine biology Fish Organism

so please, can you tell me what it can be, thanks, i really appreciate your help.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't see any raised scales (is it just me?). He is really bloated though. Fast him for a few days and keep him warm. If he doesn't poop, try some frozen daphnia or a bit of mashed up frozen pea.

I hope it's not Dropsy. Good luck.

#7 ·
I see slightly raised scales in the first picture as well. I don't think hes just bloated either, the swelling is on his body around his dorsal, not his belly.....I'm no expert, but I'd say its a pretty bad bacterial infection.

Wait for a second opinion on this, as I have very little personal experience treating diseases, but I would treat him with a bit of Epsom salt for the swelling and either Maracyn 1+2 or Tetracycline.

#8 · (Edited)
It's really hard to say if they're raised. I thought the first pic. was possibly a reflection of light.

bettatoon - are the scales raised up/sticking out from the sides?

Either way, it looks like you have a sick fishy. Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? If so, what are the levels?

#9 ·
hello, ok, i'm just little comfuse, am yes, the swelling he has is around his dorsal, not on his belly,
water temperature is 76-78 i have two heater on the tank (10gal, tank.) but those won't heat more than that, and i can not make and adjustmen. (how can i fix that? thanks).
water ammonia level is .25 wich is kind of safe/stress.
fish is swiming well, eating, he flare to his shadow, and he just poop.
so what else can i do. thanks for reply guys this is good information. thanks againg.

#11 · (Edited)
It sounds to me like he might have injured his swim bladder when he jumped out of the tank, given the location of the swelling and the issues he's having with buoyancy. The swim bladder is an internal, gas filled organ that fish use to control their buoyancy by adjusting the gasses within the swim bladder. It can be injured and/or rupture as a result of physical trauma, such as a fight or a fall.

The swim bladder is a fairly large organ relative the fish, and stretches down the last 2/3rds of a betta's body, parallel to the spine. Here's a link to a diagram of a betta's internal organs, showing the swim bladder:

http://www.bettaparadise.co.uk/fpdb/images/Betta_Anatomy_Diagram.jpg

Here's an article that discusses swim bladder disease, which sounds like the problem that your betta is having. Note that swim bladder disease can be caused by injury and constipation as well as bacterial infections, which are less common.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/swimbladder_betta.php

Since the betta is eating and behaving normally other than the swelling and floating issues, I'd continue to feed him so that he has the energy to heal any damage to his swim bladder and inner tissues. Epsom salt might be a good idea to lessen any swelling. Do NOT use aquarium salt though, as that will make swelling worse. Here's an article that talks about dropsy in fish, and some things that can be done to reduce swelling, as well as the specific dosing for Epsom salt:

http://www.healthybetta.com/fish-dropsy

The fish may be able to heal a swim bladder issue on his own and be back to normal! (here's hoping!). I might hold off on treating for a bacterial infection for a little bit, since antibiotics and other medicines are hard on fish while they're in the water. But watch the fish very very carefully for signs that he's getting worse or simply that he's not improving, as I'm not sure if an infection could result from an injury, like what might have happened to your fish when he fell.

Sorry for the info overload, but that's my best guess as to what's going on and I hope it's helpful!

Wishing your fishy a speedy recovery! :)

#13 ·
Yes, please do keep us posted!

Bettatoon, could I also suggest that you feed him frozen foods, as opposed to pellets, flakes or freeze dried foods?

Frozen foods (Hikari brand seems to be top quality, but whatever your local pet store has for fish should be ok) such as bloodworms, glassworms (mosquito larvae), tubifex worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and daphnia are all good choices, and alternating between a few of those for each feeding will ensure complete nutrition. Frozen foods provide great protein which the fish will need to heal damaged tissue.

The issue with dry foods (pellets, flakes and freeze dried) is that once consumed by the fish, they can expand in the digestive tract, causing constipation and swelling. This swelling could press on and irritate an already damaged swim bladder and would just delay the healing.

I highly recommend switching your betta to only frozen foods, if that's not already what you feed him. Just be sure to thaw the food for a little while before feeding. :)

#16 ·
I might just keep on observing him for now - keep feeding him good foods, keeping his tank clean and warm and watch for any changes in him.

Do you notice anything that would indicate additional illness since your first post? Has the shape/size/color/location of the swelling changed? Do you see any new coloration or spots on his body? (ie: bloody/red streaks, wounds, ulcerts, etc.). Is he still having trouble floating in the water normally, or is he able to hold himself away from the surface now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.