Betta Fish Forum banner

Pronouncing "Betta"

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  shiney mew 
#1 ·
I just came across this in a 2004 thread on another site:

The scientific name of the Genus Betta was taken from a word in the local language with the phonetic spelling bettah. Correct pronunciation,"Bet-tuh"
I've always pronounced it "Bay-ta." Everyone I've ever heard say it pronounced it that way as well. What's the right way?

BTW, I'll always say it the way I do now, because people will think I'm an idiot... :p

#2 ·
It is pronounced "Bet-tuh".. as in you "betta believe it" or "you betta recognize!" LOL

I was used to saying it as "bay tuh" so now I usually pronounce it as a mixture of the bad pronunciation and the actual.. it sounds funny but it works ;)

#10 ·
I know it's pronounced "bet-tuh" which is how I pronounce it in my head... but when I talk, I say "bay-tuh" as that's what it's ALWAYS called around here. I've never, ever heard someone say it differently. To me, it's just another word that can be said multiple ways, like po-tay-to, po-tah-to. Getting mad about the "wrong" pronunciation won't change the fact that almost everyone says it "wrong".

But spelling it wrong is inexcusable xDD

#12 ·
XDD It's the same at a reptile expo, so I understand. It's pretty hard knowing how to say "amelanistic", "anerythristic" "leucistic" "ultamelanistic" and so on XD Many different pronunciations. It could be "Ay-mel" "Ahm-el" "Ay-nery" "Ahn-ery" and so on and on and on xD Crazyness.
It's just when you're raised a certain way, it's pretty hard to break it D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.