Betta Fish Forum banner

Too much swimming?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tf1265 
#1 ·
this might sound dumb but is there any negatives for a betta thats swims too aggressively all the time? i have a halfmoon greenblack and i really want his fins to grow humongous. but i read in previous threads that if they swim too much they wont grow that big. my betta is constantly swimming left right up down aggresively almost like he's angry. i mean i love how active he is though :roll:

#2 ·
I have an active halfmoon myself. He will follow me around the room all the time in his tank. When I'm playing on the computer or watching TV he will roam around, only resting for a moment before exploring again.

What the side effects are, I couldn't say with certinaty, I haven't read about it negatively affecting growth. Only that some fins are delicate and will sometimes tear under heavy swimming.

Victor hasn't torn any fins at all. Even if he did, I don't know how to stop him from swimming excessively, he is a fish after all. I suppose one could downsize the tank to prevent excessive swimming, but if he is utilising the size of his tank by exploring and swimming around, I would imagine it is cruel to stop him from doing so by putting him in a smaller tank.

I guess all you can really do is monitor him. His health and condition of his fins, and treat accordingly if he ever gets torn fins or fin rot. Make sure he has rest spots at different heights and places. Live or fake plants are good for that.

The rest just comes down to personality, and who are we to try and change how much our fishy loves to swim or not ^^

#3 ·
He gets stronger the more he swims... if his fins get too big he will most likely start eating them because they are heavy for them, and drag behind them. There are actually more positives for him swimming over him growing "humongous" fins if you break it down.

#5 ·
Is he fighting his reflection in the glass? That can cause a lot of stress. Mine do that sometimes when the lighting is unbalanced. Is your tank lighted? Is the room lit outside of that? One of the properties of glass tanks is that with lighting only inside, it created a mirror-like glass wall. You could also put an aquarium background on at least 1 wall so there isn't as much refraction, if it's not in a place where it can be viewed from all sides.

Just a thought :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.