Betta Fish Forum banner

I don't know where these tears came from

740 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  aemaki09 
#1 ·
He was perfectly fine yesterday when he was fanning out his fins and tonight I came home to him like this in the pictures...I'm scared and worried...
I looked up some diseases I'm thinking it might be fin rot though it does concern me that there are a few spots on him, they're not white, but it's like a few scales have changed in color. They show up in the video during the last few seconds, I couldn't get a better shot :'c
He's swimming around like normal, his behavior isn't out of the usual and I can't seem to spot any parasites on him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIOpCZP9P8&feature=youtu.be

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have any sharp decorations in there with him?
It looks like he either tore it or bit it overnight.
Fin rot normally doesnt become that severe over a matter of hours

EDIT--- not saying this is severe, just saying fin rot wouldnt progress that fast!

#4 ·
Do you have pantyhose? if so, rub that along the plant and see if it snags anywhere. He could have just rubbed against it the wrong way one time and caused all that.
I'd take it out and see if there are anymore tears after its gone. If not then thats the culprit.
BUT it kind of looks more like tail biting to me, have there been any recent changes to his environment to cause that?? -- you got him recently didnt you? he looks familiar

Also, you need to prevent fin rot now that he has damage, so keep the water extra clean and if you dont see any white/clear edges to the fins after a week I'd start adding AQ salt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.