Betta Fish Forum banner

Defeciency or broken back??

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  airen 
#1 ·
So, I work at a pet store, and while opening this morning, I found a female that just looked... uncomfortable. I brought her to the back and put her under a light. Her water was changed yesterday.

The more I watched her, the more it seemed her back was broken! She can't move most of her back half, and to get to the top, she more flops her front to compensate. It's really painful to watch. Her spine is "S" shaped, but I don't know if this is part of what's wrong, or her compensating for the back not working. Her tail can wag, but the spine itself can't work...

I've never seen anything like this. The curve of her spine made me wonder if it was a deficieny... Anyone? I've got nothing...

#2 ·
Yes, vitamin deficient can cause that and fish TB, but most likely it is swim bladder related, it could have deflated due to bacterial infection, she could have been a faller as a fry which is common, they can recover only for it to show back up as they grow and the swim bladder was deformed, sometimes too cold or dry air that they come up to breath can cause this too. IMO the best thing for this is euthanasia, sometimes you can make the air more humid and warm and add epsom salt 1tsp/gal, warm the water up to mid 80's, but when they are suffering.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.