Betta Fish Forum banner

I think Chevy has SBD...Help?

874 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  FuulieQ 
#1 ·
So I was just looking at him and noticed a bump on his side:

It looks a lot like a pic I saw while googling SBD. I read that betta pellets can cause it, but he hasn't eaten since he got here. Unless he ate from what fell into the tank? He sometimes sleeps vertically, and before it looked like he 'yawned'. I'm not sure if they actually yawn or it was something else. So...what should I do? :/ The brand of pellets I got him are Aqueon Betta Food from PetCo. If you need any other info just ask.

See less See more
#3 ·
Which bump is it? The one closer-to his tails? If so, that's completely normal. Both my bettas have that. I'm not sure WHAT it is, probably an organ of some sort, but it's most definitely normal.

#5 ·
I just noticed you put "he doesn't have trouble swimming", well in that case, it's definitely not swim bladder disorder, lol. Sleeping vertically, sometimes they do that. If he's SWIMMING vertically (aside from just going up), then that's a...weird problem. Haha, yes I see the other bump, I'm pretty sure he's just fine.

#7 ·
Yeah, when they have SBD they will swim all weird and stuff. My fish Chance had SBD and never had any bumps, he just couldn't swim down. He bobbed along at the top like a cork. But he's better now, thank goodness. Chevy looks fine, and if he isn't swimming weird he doesn't have SBD.

#9 ·
I think that's totally normal. Freedy has it, too. It might be their swim bladder, actually? Or just muscle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.