Betta Fish Forum banner

Orange betta's

4K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
I found a really nice Orange super delta the other day and took him home. I know orange is rare so I would like to breed him to a suitable halfmoon female, he is almost halfmoon himself. What is a good color selection to pair with him? I was wondering If I could breed him to a mustard gas butterfly or a marble.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I love mustard or red and black butterflies, it would be awesome to have an orange and black or orange and white butterfly. I may have to spawn a few generations to get some good ones.

#7 ·
Yellow and orange are gorgeous but hard to maintain (the real deep yellow/orange - not cellophane like). I've often heard them being outcrossed to other colors to maintain it's intensity. But as you said, you would need to breed a few generation to get that "perfect" desired color.

I suggest you use a very good female - 8 end branching, so when you come up with the color pattern you desire, you won't have to worry about their form.

#8 ·
Yes!! Im so happy, Naran is a HM I hadn't actually seen him spread his fins so I didnt know until I placed him next to my other male to take some pics.(he was labled delta, saved me an extra 4$) He is so pretty I hope I can find a suitible female, it would be a shame not to breed him.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I don't know anything about breeding and crosses I just wanted to say he looks just like my orange boy but he's a Vt. Gorgeous. I would like to throw my hat in that ring to purchase a baby when and if you spawn!

#11 ·
I won't breed to red, I don't like reds and red is a dominant color over orange. I'm going to look for a yellow whitened and black butterfly if possible. I will be sure to let everyone know when I find a female and will more than likely offer the fry for sale here.

#12 ·
I won't breed to red, I don't like reds and red is a dominant color over orange. I'm going to look for a yellow whitened and black butterfly if possible. I will be sure to let everyone know when I find a female and will more than likely offer the fry for sale here.
Definitely don't breed to red. You can try yellow (not sure what you'll get). White will give you some cambodian like color. Black - IDK, but I've heard many breeders cross to black.

#13 ·
Just a note - I wouldn't go with embetta (breeder) he does not know english, and I believe uses an online translator to speak it.

I am trying to buy a few of his bettas and I can't understand what he is trying to tell me - got in contact with Linda O. to try to help. She has a partner who is working on it that speaks Thai

#14 ·
When you look at colour charts like blue+red=purple etc, apply that to your betta's, only slightly different, different colour genes are more dominant than others in bettas, for example, if you bred red x yellow, your fry would be various degrees of reddy orange, depending on which genes are mixed, with yellow being the recessive gene it may not show at all and you may just end up with slightly lighter reds.

http://bettacare101.com/genetics/ this is a sorta simple guide to the colouring thing enjoy :)

#15 ·
Sorry Betty but there is a lot more to it than a color chart. That's why some colors are rare like true orange, purple and green. It sometimes takes several generations to produce the true color or pattern of your goal. I'm still learning too so no offense of course.

#19 ·
So I think based on some of that information I know what I want to do. Since butterfly is a dominant trait and that's what I want, I can breed to another recessive color HM and have good chance at producing a few orange butterfly HM fry.

#23 ·
good choice hd4life, she shows butterfly patterns as well as being a gorgeous colour!!!

#24 ·
but with that female her anal fin is long and her cadual fin isn't crisp. females are where fry get most of their form from so you need a perfect female. i suggest breeding him to a white female and the fry will be white orange and yellow.

#28 ·
but with that female her anal fin is long and her cadual fin isn't crisp. females are where fry get most of their form from so you need a perfect female. i suggest breeding him to a white female and the fry will be white orange and yellow.
If it were only that simple !!!??? With white means both carry cambodian genes which is more dominant so you'll get cambodian like colors. But with orange, though both will carry cambo genes, but the orange mutation is stronger so you'll have a better chance of getting orange fry.

@HD: Sometimes getting that "perfect" betta is close to impossible. I agree that you should be very picky in choosing, specially if you're going to pay dearly for it. But you may not get her .... well not in time to breed with your current male anyway (you only have one).

Since color is more difficult, I suggest you concentrate on that more than form. So if there is a female with deep orange color - consider it, as long as she doesn't have too many flaws (form). Then when you have a bunch of orange babies, you can selectively breed them plus/or search for "the perfect partner". You definitely can experiment more with orange then (breed to other colors).

#27 ·
Ya it's going to be hard to find the right match, butin this case I want to be picky not experimental. I want the butterfly pattern to come thru and I want the orange to come though if possible. I guess I misunderstood what chart you were talking about Betty, sorry. Well my search is on lol

#30 ·
Lol understood, I will let you know if I see a good looking one, I understand the picky not experimental you should have some gorgeous babies, don't forget to tell me when you have the babies, I want the best one for myself!!!lol good luck!!!

#31 ·
Orange butterflies would be GORGEOUS.

I definitely think you should breed to a female with the right color and form later, after all, you want HIS color, so it is best to make it as dominant as possible in your line. If you end up with light orange and a bunch of yellows/cambos, you will not be happy, and it will be hard for you to find another male like that who can potentially give a very pure orange.

#32 ·
Still on the hunt for a good female, I really didnt think it would be this hard, for one thing, I would prefer to buy in the US because I want to buy 3 females or more and shipping from thailand would be my entire week of pay lol. Of course im looking for a good color compliment as well as form to my males. I have found only 2 females I like for Naran, one in the US (dark mustard HM) and one in Thailand ( lime body orange finned HM) We will see whats available when my pay check comes in I guess.

#33 ·
Have you thought about asking breeders for a spawn sibling to a male (without purchasing the male) I have and I've gotten some great females that weren't on AB. Just find a male with the coloration you're looking for then email about a spawn sibling they usually show you a picture. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.