Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Get a large tub or plastic storage container just big enough to fit all your unheated tanks into. Fill it with enough water to partially submerge your small tanks. Invest in one large heater big enough to heat that much water. They're all about the same price regardless of size. If you have a filter to circulate all that water, good for your fish.

If you need to put it on the floor, put towels under it and blankets around it. Cover it with cling film to keep the heat in. Use a floating thermometer so you can move it around to check temps. Good luck.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #12 
luviggies

I bought a 5 watt heater for my 1 gallon on Amazon with shipping it was $20.00 - it seems to be working fairly well.
luviggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #13 
clementchee

I am just glad that I am living in a tropical country. Heater is just not needed.
clementchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #14 
SturmChurro

Well, ironically, and sadly, my fish in my heated, filtered, 5 gallon tank just died (during the -degrees this week). I checked his water as well and it was very cold, even with the heater. My fish in my 1 gallons are still alive and doing well, and their water is warm, due to me using a room heater more effectively.

My water heater, is just not good enough I guess. It has kept the water warm, but at other times his water just gets very cold, well it is automatic. Maybe it was other issues that killed him, other than the cold, he had his gills wide open when I found him if that makes a difference. His fins are full, no rot, or anything else I can see as another reason that would have killed him!
SturmChurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Temperature fluctuations are more stressful and possibly deadly than a constant cooler temperature. Some stopgap measures are better than others. But, when it comes down to it, you need a heater <period>
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #16 
SturmChurro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Temperature fluctuations are more stressful and possibly deadly than a constant cooler temperature. Some stopgap measures are better than others. But, when it comes down to it, you need a heater <period>
I just need a better water heater either way. What it did was those fluctuations, I don't know if it was because it is automatic, faulty, or what, but the water would be warm at times and others cold.
SturmChurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 AM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
....the water would be warm at times and others cold.
That is one symptom of a broken heater. Just as bad as a heater that breaks in the ON position, usually worse than in the OFF position.