Betta Fish Forum banner

Best way to clean gravel without removing it or the fish?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
When I do water changes in my 3 gallon tank, I always have the problem of cleaning the poop out of the bottom of the tank ): I have no gravel vacuums (as nowhere around me really sells one small enough, and even though I considered a turkey baster, I'm not sure if that would be safe.

I just want an easy way to clean my gravel without stressing the fish. Is the turkey baster safe, or no?

#2 ·
Is your tank cycled?
(youre probably wondering why im asking but i will explain after u answers xD)

#6 ·
I don't remember if it was petmsart or petco, but I got a small, 6-inch siphon for around $9 dollars. The suction part itself is 6-inches, I mean. The length of the tubing is roughly 2 1/2 feet :3

Would something like that be small enough? I'll try to find my reciept to find out for sure~

#7 ·
I'd imagine that would be small enough, that's about two inches short from my tank's top so it probably is perfect :D Just gotta wait until next pay for it then. Thank you for the help :D

#12 ·
Thank you all of you :D I have one question that has nothing to do with the gravel vacs though: Are seashells fresh from the ocean, when cleaned, safe for a freshwater tank? Because I have some very nice ones I would like to use in my new tank but I wouldn't know that they were safe as they previously were in saltwater and held saltwater bottomfeeders...

#13 ·
Soak in bleach. There are micro pores that will harbor bacteria. Soak in water with declorinator. A few negatives it will slowly release calcium into the water making your water harder but probably not an issue if your doing your water changes. If there are sharp edges it could cut your betta or his tail and fins up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.