Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about getting a betta

965 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Hi. I have been thinking about getting a betta, I think they are fabulous fish and would really like to own one. The only problem is, is that I dont really have the money to buy expensive equipment. I have been doing research today and read quite a few times that bettas can be kept in bowls without heaters as long as the water is chlorine free and changed weekly. Could I do this?

Thanks

#2 ·
It all depends.

How big is the bowl? This would determine how often a water change would have to be performed. 2.5 Gallons is usually recommended, and even then you'd still be doing ~2 water changes a week. You'll also need water conditioner.

How warm is your environment? This would determine whether a heater is needed or not. Betta's are tropical fish and thrive in warmer temperatures from 76º-82ºF that are stable. So unless your house is a furnace, a heater is recommended.

As far as expenses, you can find an appropriately sized tank and heater on craigslist, aquabid, walmart or any other local pet store for a reasonable price. Fishkeeping isn't cheap and you'll have to invest a bit to provide adequately.

#5 ·
A heater is essential, I only paid 6dollars for my heater though. so total

19-tank w filter and light(came with food and conditioner)
1.50- thermomter
6-heater

26.50 to get me started and good for a few months

After that I upgraded to betta pellets, stress coat as my conditioner.

#6 · (Edited)
Well, colder temperatures do stress them out. Hence, why you never see a lively betta at your pet store when contained in those 2 pint cups.

EDIT - There's a Walmart Tetra heater that several members use for their smaller tanks. I can only imagine it being ~10 dollars. Does Walmart exist in Europe? Should you be unable to purchase that, there is also the Hydor Mini Heater which I've used and kept the tank 78º.

#7 ·
No we dont have a Walmart in the UK but I'm sure I could find all the equipment for a reasonable price some place.

Are betta fish difficult to take care of? also from researching I read that Betta fish can't live together or with other fish that are colourful and have long fins. Is this true?

#8 ·
Mm, yes. Male bettas cannot live together as they are incredibly aggressive towards each other. The only way to house bettas together would be single a male and female specifically for breeding, or an all female sorority - but even then the risk of conflict is still present.

As for the brightly colored fish, some do tend to agitate or provoke bettas. Depends entirely on your fish's personality.

#12 ·
Bettas are heavenly to take care of. They're so easy compared to other fish! AND they're rewarding :)

My community tank has poop everywhere thanks to my platies, but I doubt you'll ever see betta poop (unless you slack on the water changes or feed him too much).

You should get a Kritter Keeper! Those things are amazingly cheap. I forgot if the Large is 3 or 5 gallons, but it's only $13ish.

Basically, get:
- Tank
- Heater (Hydor's 7.5 watt heater is good for a tank 5 gallons or less)
- Thermometer
- Betta pellets
- Water conditioner
- Plants/caves/deco/gravel
- A water siphon isn't necessary but it sure does make cleaning SO much easier

#13 ·
5 gallons is the best size for a betta. No less than 2-2.5 gallons IMO. You can get second-hand tanks, they're very cheap. I would say a heater is quite essential, colder temperatures lower their immune systems so they're a bit more susceptible to disease. Even lower than that (70F or less, about) they can probably die much more easily.

How much money can you spend? If you don't have a lot of money to spend, then you should wait before getting one. Fish are not exactly cheap little things if you want to really be interested in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.