Betta Fish Forum banner

Goldfish tank

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  BlueInkFish 
#1 ·
Hello!

My friends sister has a goldfish that she doesn't want anymore. It is currently living in a 1 gallon bowl with a glo fish. I desperately want to save this fish (the goldfish) and give it the best life possible, however I do not think I have the necessary money. I am pretty sure he is a butterfly tail, and I read that they need 20 gallons of space. I can not afford this, so i was thinking a 5 or 10 with frequent water changes? My dad doesn't want me to buy from Craigslist because he believes they will not be the best quality, which I disagree with. What is the best way I can give these fish a good life? Where can I find everything cheaply? Should I just not bother? Even if I got them a 5 gallon they would be happier than they are now... but even then I would need to upgrade. :roll:

#3 ·
Hi. You could keep him in a 10 gallon. It would be a lot of work.. Do you know how big he is right now?
If he does turn out to be a single tail you can always work on finding a pond for him.

#7 ·
Get him in what you can, and then start scouting craigslist or similar sites for lucky deals. You can also check second hand stores, Goodwill, ect. A second hand tank is perfectly safe to use - just clean it and check the seals - resealing isn't hard if you need to, and you can sometimes get whole setups for very cheap. It can be done on a budget, it just takes more work and a little bit of luck.

#11 · (Edited)
Depends on what his tail type is, I may be able to take him if you learn how to ship fish...My comet goldfish just died and if he does turn out to be a single tail, I have a pond open for him when he grows up, and a 30g with a small goldfish (that will be moved to the pond once he's grown) that would work for a fancy.

#12 ·
If he's a fancy an you learn how to ship fish I may be interested I have a 40 gallon tank and it ready to add another fancy goldfish! ! Unless you take bailmints request haha ! I hope you do find a home for him soon!i would love to see pic of him/her if possible ?

#14 ·
Well it's up to you as the fish owner to decide what's best :) wherever you think he'll be the happiest is where you should place him ;) I'm not saying give him to me but hook me up as a last resort ^__^ I have a tank all ready to go if you don't find a home or if you don't want to keep him then just send me a pm :D

#15 ·
It would probably be best to rehome him. Unless you can find a free tank on Craigslist or similar, you'll have to spend money, and he's going to physically outgrow that bowl, and probably much more quickly than you'll expect. This is not even counting how quickly his waste will build up, and how much work it will be to keep him healthy in such a tiny, tiny space. It looks like there are plenty of people that will give him a proper home, though!

Edit: It is, of course, your choice as the owner.

#16 · (Edited)
Mhm, and if you can't find anyone locally to take him, you could take me or Blu up on our offers. If you do take one of us up just make sure to thoroughly read on shipping fish xD.

It's your choice as the owner, but he just can't live in a bowl. There's a condition that fish get when they're placed in a too-small tank. What happens is since their environment is too small, their outsides stop growing and their insides keep growing and they eventually die in excruciating pain. Not to mention the amount of waste build-up in .5g bowl.

A fancy would need around 30 gallons of water, minimum.
A single tail would need around 50 gallons of water, minimum. And even that is hard to take care of with Goldfish-they're pretty dirty fish.

#23 ·
I believe I am going to watch tutorials on how to ship fish and give him to a loving home with his needs are met. I will make a new thread for anyone interested... but how will I choose? I was thinking I base it off of tank size, friends, and what state he will be living in. (I will give Blu and Bailmint some brownie points for helping out ;))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.