Betta Fish Forum banner

A few questions about my goldfish tank

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  thekoimaiden 
#1 ·
So I have 3 small common goldfish in a 3 gallon tank. The water looks cloudy but when I make a water change the water looks clear. Is something wrong with my tank, like maybe the plastic is discolored? I'm not sure but it's been like this since I set it up but cleared a little bit after the first week and now it's just been dingy looking since then. Any ideas? Because I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

#3 ·
We are working on setting up a 5 gallon this week for them. We have a 20 gallon but still trying to figure out where it's leaking from so it will be a while before we can move them into that one. Will they be ok for a few months in the 5? Because I'm not sure how soon we can get the other tank fixed...

#5 ·
We've had them for 4 weeks now so they are still fairly small.
With the tubs and it being winter, where would be a good place to house the tubs since we don't have room for them in the house? We have a basement but it's not heated so I would guess that that would be too cold.

#7 ·
I just joined this site like 2 minutes ago bu wanted to get right in on the action ;) i agree with what hey have been saying so far. also if i were yu i would get a razor to strip the silicone out of the 20 gal tank, wipe it down with alcohol around the seams on the inside, rinse it ou verrrryyy well, then buy 100% pure water proof silicone and seal it again. let it dry for 3 days just to be safe so those goldfish have a bigger tank to stay in for the time being. just a thought

#8 ·
I've got silicone but unfortunately I have to wait on someone else to reseal the tank because I have been at college for the past few months. I'm currently on vacation so I might be able to do it this upcoming week. We're looking at landscaping over the summer and adding a pond to our yard. Will the goldfish be ok until then in the 20g?

#9 ·
Sounds like your goldfish will do fine in the 5 gallon until you set up your pond. They'll do great in the pond. I stocked my Southern Ohio pond with feeder goldfish and in two years they went from about an inch long and skinny to 6 inches long and fat. In the interim, don't over feed them and make weekly 10%-20% water changes to keep the ammonia level down. Good luck !

#13 ·
The 20 gallon would be best, without a doubt. Three small goldfish in a reasonably maintained 5 gallon would stay healthy until the switch to a pond. Naturally, you need to keep an eye on water quality. Ammonia can build up quickly in a goldfish tank. Feed carefully and do your water changes. Goldfish will get red veins in their fins when ammonia levels are dangerous.

If you wanted to permanently house your goldfish in an aquarium, the bigger, the better. Be observant, do some research and you will gain an intuitive sense as to what you need to do. The main thing is to enjoy your hobby with mutual consideration for yourself and your dependent creatures.

#15 · (Edited)
... Three small goldfish in a reasonably maintained 5 gallon would stay healthy until the switch to a pond. ...
I actually have to disagree on this. Simply because of size. Building a pond takes a while and is usually done in warmer weather. Goldfish grow fast, and in a month or two they will outgrow the room in a 5 gal. With sufficient water changes the water could be kept clean enough, but due to the growth rate, they will soon simply get too large to be comfortable housed in such a small area for that time.

Getting the goldfish to the 20 gal as soon as possible is their best chance. However, if you can find a huge plastic tub that is larger, that would be the best solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.