Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#1,895 · (Edited)
ty Bahamut. is it just the natural genetics of other trees to different when you try maple leaves or any other leave for a betta?

#1,896 ·
For the past two weeks I have noticed a weird, what looks like smiley strings of spit, floating around Abacus' tank. They are floating losely and also stuck on the plants and gravel.
This is my first tank without a filter. And the plants are fake.
I have tried and tried but I cannot seem to get rid of the slime strings.
What are they and how do I get rid of them?

#1,900 ·
i have a question about wild bettas and the other colours. the wild betta colours are more natural camoflage for obvious reasons. my question is how many of these blue, red, yellow etc colored bettas occur in the wild? i can imagine such colours are natural if they were coral dwelling fish but they're freshwater fish. im guessing most are bred for specific colours.

#1,902 ·
thank you Neil. im guessing marbles are also in the same group as orange/yellow because the dark patterms.

#1,903 ·
Theyre bred exclusively for color. Some of the other breeds of wild bettas (there are many, the term "betta" is misleading) have more adventurous colors like speckles of reds and can be light bodied, but as per bettas that we know, their wild ancestors are exclusively that blackish-blue-red-green color mix, normally.

#1,905 ·
thank you, is the marbling in the coloured bettas part of their wild heritage?

#1,904 ·
I was talking to another member who looked at this image and 2 seconds later said he looked like he just came out of a serious illness... Since I got him not long ago can anyone confirm this and advise treatment? I have oak tannin + 1 tsp of epsom salt already mixing in a gallon jug if thats what is needed.

If it makes a difference I also mentioned that he is quite docile and doesn't really like to flare, even when provoked with mirrors or sticks.

#1,915 ·
#1,907 · (Edited)
my fish has been in AQ salt for a week and its caudal fin has started to tear between the the spines near the base of the tail (3 new tears). the rocks arent cutting it and no plants. should i put it back into the normal water without AQ? the fin was better. 7 days in AQ salt .5 gal and 100WC.

#1,909 · (Edited)
Copperarabian, I think he may just be a HM, not sure...

Nel3, what was the reason he was in the AQ salt treatment anyways?

Simizoki, he looks fine to me! But ask around more...
the reason was cut edges on the caudal tail. dont care what my parents say. im going to get a heater for the betta. found the water temp at 22. the .5 gal want too bad before staying at 25C, damn AC. please dont hang me for this, i was going to buy a heater for my fish before winter starts and no heater during summer but thats out the window now. are there any good heaters fora 1gal tank and 2.5g that are reliable? walmart has the unadjustble tetras, lowest watt 100 2-15g. should i to stop the AQ salt now ?

#1,911 · (Edited)
thank you, i'll look around for that one. i was going to accept tetra brand before i heard its issues to cook fish. amazon has them for $18 and free Super Saver Shipping for +$25 orders. how much can they go for in the stores/LFS? ive found a 10w at Petco, dont remember the brand.

im going to stop the AQ treatment. hopefully clean freshwater will help him heal.

#1,925 ·
thank you lion mom, i made it in time for the amazon.com sale and one more person ordered the last one soon after.

#1,930 ·
is it worth it putting live plants in a 2.5gal tank? im new to fish so should i leave live plants for later on?

#1,933 · (Edited)
which are those clover-like patties with short brown roots that float on to of the water? have those at the LPS, i like how they float on top of the water. they dont seem to grow tall but i dont know about spreading as they grow. i do prefer plants that would float rather than root to the substrate to make tank cleaning easier. i guess they add tannins to the water also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.