Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#1,934 ·
I need a little help. I just bought a Submersible Heater of Tetra to go with my 5 gallon tank and it says there's suppose to be a red light that shows me when it's on, but I can never seem to see it even though I've been glancing at it since I put it in for a while now. And the water still seems rather cold. Is it broken and should I return it? Or am I doing something wrong?

#1,939 ·
Just return it. Those heaters are absolutley awful, they really are. Youre lucky if it keeps that tank above 72'F.

Get a thermometer when you return it.

What's the dosing for green tea in a betta tank to be used in place of oak leaves? I have decaf green tea/white tea. It is unsweetened. I plan to use in a quarter gallon hospital tank.
Decaf green tea should be presoaked in tank water or warm/hot dechlorinated water for long enough to get the water dark. Allow it to cool if its hot (to steep) and add into the tank bit by bit until its a light brown color. It may darken more after a time, so wait 10 minutes before each shot of it to see its true color.

The green tea is mostly to darken the water, it doesnt carry as great of medicinal benefits as does IAL or oak leaves. Still treat with an appropriate treatment for whatever ails the fish, dont rely on the tea to heal it.

#1,940 ·
Decaf green tea should be presoaked in tank water or warm/hot dechlorinated water for long enough to get the water dark. Allow it to cool if its hot (to steep) and add into the tank bit by bit until its a light brown color. It may darken more after a time, so wait 10 minutes before each shot of it to see its true color.

The green tea is mostly to darken the water, it doesnt carry as great of medicinal benefits as does IAL or oak leaves. Still treat with an appropriate treatment for whatever ails the fish, dont rely on the tea to heal it.
I wasn't planning using only that to heal my betta, but even the littlest bit helps and he's in need of it. He'll be getting some stress coat, aquarium or epsom salt, and possibly more parasite treatment with the next water change, but I wanted to try a day of just gentle treatment since he's been on rigorous treatments of salts and parasite medications for the last few days since his pet store condition was near death. So far it looks like parasites are gone, but he needs low stress and to gain weight.

Thank you very much. Wanted to know before I put anything in the tank with him.

#1,941 ·
I wasn't planning using only that to heal my betta, but even the littlest bit helps and he's in need of it. He'll be getting some stress coat, aquarium or epsom salt, and possibly more parasite treatment with the next water change, but I wanted to try a day of just gentle treatment since he's been on rigorous treatments of salts and parasite medications for the last few days since his pet store condition was near death. So far it looks like parasites are gone, but he needs low stress and to gain weight.

Thank you very much. Wanted to know before I put anything in the tank with him.

No problem, just making sure.

Be careful about using so many unnatural treatments at one time. To be honest, if youre using parasite treatments, you dont need the salt. One or the other to avoid toxicity. Good luck with your fish. <3

#1,945 ·
thank you, thats a nice plant but sorry its not the one. i'll drop by the LPS take a pic of it if its there. it was free floating with 3-4 long thin leaves. its more in the catergory of duckweed where the roots never settle in the substrate.

#1,950 ·
i have a silk plant that has some thin fake baby plastic leaves. will the betta try to eat the small plastic leaves or will i have to cut them off to avoid it? i dont mind it nibbling on the thin plastic leaves but im afraid they might break off and block/damage the betta's stomach.

#1,953 · (Edited)
*him

Bettas don't generally even look at plants as a food source. It should be okay to put them in his tank, as long as they don't rip fins:)
ty, i can use them as a small homemade bush now. had to cut them off and 3 leaves. it was getting too crowded upstairs and he was having a hard time swimming through. i plan to get the exact same silk plant for the 2.5gal with same leaf cuttings for 2 extra bushes in the tank.

wheres the best place to get aquarium safe glue and does it melt plastic? i plan to find a material to make a setting foot to keep it grounded and using a section of the hard plastic trays that come in plastic model kits. i have have those in abundance. if AQ safe glue does melt that plastic then i can make a plant footing out of it also.

#1,960 ·
Quick question: New boy came from LFS so he won't eat pellets. Is it okay to feed him frozen bloodworms as his staple diet? He even spits out the smallest pellet I have.
Try soaking them in the BW "juice". My guy started eating them eventually. Now he eats them without the "juice." I wouldn't feed them it everyday, because theyre high in protein. My guy got bloat from eating too many:) Anyways, maybe feed him a variety of frozen/live foods.

#1,957 ·
Hey guys, I have those annoying microscopic white worms in my tank. I heard it's because the tank is healthy but it looks............gross.

I haven't added anything new to it except a green tea bag, could eggs have been in it (eww?)

How do I get rid of them...giant waterchange? It's my split 5 gal and I don't want to take it all apart after spending HOURS getting the divider settled in and decorating :/

#1,958 ·
LAWL SAME PRAHBLEM

:B

Nah, I doubt it.

I think all youve gotta do is lessen what you feed your fish a bit (even up the no noms days to 2, rather than 1) and do a bit more frequent SIPHONINGS (not WC) to get rid of em. They leik ur gravel.

So I hear you leik gravel.
Mudkips.
Leik mudkips
Meik Ludkips

B: <3

#1,959 ·
OMG MAH GRAVEL(LER)S.

FFFF I have no siphon DX!!! I said it before but my LPS only sells siphons for 10000000000G tanks, they can probably suck up my head lololol

I'll just kill them with fire 8D

#1,961 ·
ANOTHER QUESTION: So after work I'm probably going to go to my friends house and we're going to go to a pet store to buy some fish (probably petco since I'm close to getting a 5 dollar off discount). Anyone, it turns out I'll probably sleepover at her house tonight, so I'm going to need somewhere to put my betta fish until I go home tomorrow. (Probably not the best of ideas, but it's all I can do right now)
Is there anything cheap I can buy while at the petstore today that can temporarily house my betta fish?

#1,962 ·
You could keep her in the cup you bought her in if its just one night... take the fish out and put it in a regular drinking glass and wash out the cup with a lid you bought it in. Then return the fish to its old clean cup. That would be the cheapest way to keep your fish for 1 night until you can get it home.

#1,965 · (Edited)
yes, but a future betta is of an unknown gender, therefore I can't possibly refer to it as him or her and be justified in doing so. If it was specified that a male or female was going to be picked up then I would have spoken differently.
The fact that the OP used the term "my betta" several times implies that they are unsure as to the gender as well. To top it all off it is a pronoun, and it is grammatically justified to use it in this situation.

Definition of IT

#1,970 ·
My betta's sleep on top of the heater/near the heater almost all the time. They sleep on top because it's somewhere for them to "sit" near the surface.

IMO it's fine. Do you have a thermometer in the tank? It should be as far away from the heater as possible to give accurate reading of the water temperature instead of assuming your heater is doing a good job XD

#1,967 ·
well.. i think bettas can distinguish whether its too hot for them or not to be next to a heater. i mean, they do know better... :)

but anyways, does anyone know a safe way to remove gravel with snails in it? by saying safe i mean as in safe for the snails in it. i have ramshorn snails in my gravel, and id hate to kill them just becuase i changed my gravel..

#1,969 ·
Sorry about the definition link... I screwed up somewhere.
him/her and betta are both longer than it, that's why I chose not to use them.

*incoming potential flame fuel*
Until the fish is brought home and a bond is formed... to me its just a fish. I want to separate myself and not identify with it until I know it will survive. Using a term like "it" helps me to keep that distance. This is done to protect myself.

I've heard the Beiber joke so many times its rather old now... sorry.

#1,971 ·
Query: I bought some "Flourish" plant food (liquid) from seachem for my water wisterias, is that okay? I don't know if it's some crazy hardcore plant food that will make my plants sentient or something XD

#1,972 · (Edited)
i fot 1 bunch of anacharis today, put most of it in the 2.5g and 1.5 stalks in the 1 gal. it works wonders to eat ammonia, removed .35ppm within a few hours. how often would i still need to change the water for the fish and the plants sake in the one gallon? do i stick with the 100 and 50 the other day or can i extend it to 2 full days between a 100wc?

shat options are there to make you own silk plants? more specifically i have the silk leaves and a possible substitute for a stem. the issue is a plant foot to bury it under the gravel. would lead eventually leach?

#1,973 ·
Bahamut, if you dose correctly, it ought to be fine, I've heard a lot of great things about it. if necessary you can adjust how much you add. I am considering getting it, let me know how it goes~ :D

Nel, the purpose of water changes is to keep the ppms of the ammonia and nitrites under .25 ppm at pretty much all times if possible, so if there is .25 or more, you'd still have to do the water changes. If not, continue monitoring the water quality until you can determine a new water change schedule. However, IMO, you should still do the water changes, they certainally can't hurt.

#1,974 ·
thank you Jkfish. i dont think i'll extend the wc schedule much on account of uneaten food and biological waste from the fish.

#1,977 ·
Well, it depends on what you want from it. If you want a cycled tank, then I honestly suggest getting sponge filter media. If you are going for an uncycled tank but want the added benifits of the filter, I'd just say get those carbon filter pads.

The pros of the carbon is that it helps maintain the water quality just a bit better until you have to do your water change, but the cons would be that you have to replace them every few weeks, and the costs add up.

the pros of the sponge media is that it does a good job both housing the benificial bacteria and you don't have to replace it. The cons are that once a month or so when you squeeze it out and swish it through the old tank water from a water change, there is a lot of gunk coming off of it, and it can be a bit messy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.